never been more disappointed in myself in my life!!!!

Vanessa_M
on 3/3/15 9:10 am

I had the same post just the other day!  I'm only 2 years out, but I see the old habits creeping back in slowly.  I let life get in the way and it got in the way of the healthy habits I had developed over the past year.  Last week when I was grocery shopping, I noticed my cart had more boxes (processed foods) in it than it used to.  I just purged my house yesterday (by putting the crap in the trash, not in my tummy!) and am getting back to the basics.  

I'm on the East Coast and it feels like this winter just won't end!  I haven't been able to go running outside in 2 weeks!  The gym just isn't the same.  But we've got to find the space and time to get back into our groove.

I feel that after so many years of staying on the straight and narrow, there's no way that you'll go back to your pre-surgery weight.  I have the same fear (and no one seems to understand that).  But you are on the right track.  Step One: Admit there is a problem.  Step Two:  Get back on OH.  

We've got this!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Dr. Rohit Patel, Cooper University Hospital 

ruthie571
on 3/3/15 11:24 am

I had just submitted my post when I read this.  I totally understand where you are coming from.  I am also able to hold more food than before which is scary!  Thank you for sharing.  I am determined to get this weight back off.  Hopefully we can be supportive of each other and do this!

WereYorkie
on 3/3/15 11:49 am
VSG on 05/11/15

*Stands up and points her finger with a glare*

Stop! Right now! DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP!!! Do not even go there! It's not going to help you regain control. In fact, it will start a vicious cycle that repeat itself over and over again.... and NOTHING will be accomplished.

So... you've gained 10 pounds. That's not bad. That is manageable. Instead of beating yourself up (which I am sure you did to yourself pre-op, why not look at this in another aspect. ALL adults have to watch their weight. "Normal" people (those who've never fought obesity) still gain and lose. You are just like them now.

You may have gained 10 pounds, but you can lose them too! 

Have you sat down with a food journal and write down everything that you've eaten in a day? A week? Have you also written down all your exercise? If so---do it! and be honest about it. Realize that this is just a bump in your journey, not a mountain.  Does your WLS program have a Registered Dietician? Maybe you should make an appointment and go over your concerns. Do you have a local support group?? If so, go to them and vent your concerns.

But DO NOT go back beating yourself up as though the world has ended. It hasn't. This is where you face your fears not with tears on your face but with grit and determination. You deserve to be happy! Fight for it!

White Dove
on 3/3/15 8:07 pm - Warren, OH

I have been doing this for over seven years now.  The one thing that I always do is weigh daily.  Plans become boring.  Food is a comfort item.  Weight is easy to sneak up on me.  I don't let that happen.  If I gain a pound, I cut back a bit on food and move more.

I have cravings and work hard to find acceptable substitutes.  If I want chocolate, I have a 90 calorie chocolate brownie Fiber One bar.  If I want chips, I have some Simply Seven Quinoa chips with a bowl of salsa.  For cold and creamy, I might mix ricotta with Splenda and lemon juice. 

My body has learned to like my healthy versions of food better than the high sugar, high carb items that I used to love.  I do not have the old foods in the house.  I eat six times a day and keep servings to about 200 calories.  I weigh, count, measure and put the food away after I get my portion out.  The calories are what is important to me first, then fiber, then protein.  With my method, I don't need willpower, but I did need hard work to find acceptable foods that I enjoy eating.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Going2loseit2014
on 3/5/15 1:46 pm

Thanks for sharing ..I need to make the scale my friend again ..I Like the food choice ideas ...  I love this idea " I eat six times a day and keep servings to about 200 calories.  I weigh, count, measure and put the food away after I get my portion out. " THANK YOU !!!!

Valerie G.
on 3/3/15 10:59 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You're definitely not alone with this.  I have to impose a detox of sorts on myself a couple of times a year when I notice my cravings getting ridiculous.  I fill my fridge with high protein choices - do lots of prep work on deviled eggs, salami rolls, ricotta fluff, whatever I can grab and go when I feel a little hungry.  I find that I gravitate to those things that I can grab quickly for snacking.  It still sucks for a day or two, but it gets better and I gain control.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Going2loseit2014
on 3/5/15 1:42 pm

Thanks for your post.. Hoping to learn from others and get back on track

g8w7kc
on 3/4/15 5:24 am

I know what you mean.  I am 6 years out and kept my weight steady until a year ago. I have now regained 15 pounds and feel scared and desperate.  So afraid I can't stop it. So far I haveny been able to get control again.  Let's hold each other up and get back on track!

Going2loseit2014
on 3/5/15 1:32 pm

I 'd like to join you  I too need to get back on track

SleevedLife
on 3/5/15 3:05 am

(((Hugs)))

i hear ya.  Nice work on catching this early.

I'm also a 2011 sleever and I've regained 40 lbs!  :(

I've recently returned to the pre-op diet as a first step to getting back on track. 

You can do this!!

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

Most Active
Recent Topics