What happens if you eat too much...

mmsmom
on 3/2/15 2:34 am - Woburn, MA

I know with RNY you stretch the pouch, banders dilate their esophagus.... but what happens if you eat too much with VSG?  I definitely ate too much today (at Mexican restaurant) at lunch and I am uncomfortable.  This is not a regular habit so I am not overly concerned, but it did make me think what the consequences of continuous overeating would be.  Any insight would be appreciated.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Tracy D.
on 3/2/15 2:58 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

According to my surgeon, it is very difficult to actually "stretch" the sleeve.  He's done surgery and post-oppers and has never seen a significant increase in sleeve size.  However, the more food you put in the more pliable or flexible the sleeve becomes...so it can accommodate more food at one time.  

The goal here is to preserve your restriction for as long as possible.  The sleeve will relax a bit and become more pliable on its own over time...you don't want to do anything to hurry that process up.  Which is what you do by overeating.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

mickeymantle
on 3/2/15 3:18 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you eat to much you gain weight

if you do it all the time you can stretch the sleeve but not back to full size

when the nerves grow back if you over eat you will feel over stuffed

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/15 7:02 am

can you explain what you mean by the "nerves growing back"?

shorty71
on 3/2/15 3:20 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

When i eat too much i get very uncomfortable. I end up getting the foamies and puke!  I dont eat to this point very often but it does happoen very rarely. Never try to eat to this point. I dont because i do now want my sleeve to stretch

Mary Gee
on 3/2/15 3:38 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
Did you see the movie Alien?? 😁 (JK)
mmsmom
on 3/2/15 3:42 am - Woburn, MA

Very funny Mary!  

VSG on 04/28/2014

Luvmygs
on 3/2/15 5:04 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I asked my surgeon this question. She said our stomachs will NEVER go back to its normal size ever again. But, we can tend to eat more as the years go on and for this reason we need to stay within reason. Kinda what Tracy said. You don't want to get to used to over eating. I think you'll be ok, just don't do it so often.

SATXVSG
on 3/2/15 7:33 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

My surgeon said the same as tracy's

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

frisco
on 3/2/15 8:38 am

Continuous over eating can create pressure, repeated pressure is about the only way to stretch a sleeve.

*Read up on the pyloric valve function.

The VSG can be a very high pressure system if you "max out" your capacity. That is why "under eating your sleeve capacity" is very important.

We all get wrapped up into the WL part of this process, well because it has the highest thrill factor. The reality is that WLS and WL is far more about keeping the weight off that you lost and weight management.

Can the sleeve stretch? Yes, it is human tissue and not steel and even steel can stretch.

The point that it will never get back to it's original size is probably true but kind of moot, because even if our sleeve capacity increased to 1/3 it's original size, most of us couldn't manage our weight.

The larger the initial sleeve, the more stretchy tissue is retained and if the differences in sleeve sizes were miniscule, why can one person eat 3oz. of food and another can eat well over 16oz.????

The key is to always under eat your capacity and preserve your restriction for the long haul.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics