Can't get rid of belly fat

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/4/15 2:14 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm 5'5" as well and calling it good at 145, my surgeon said not to sweat being on the higher end of the BMI scale given my build. Given that I wear a size 2, I'm not sure where I'd go if I dropped much further, LOL!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

reannunziata
on 2/27/15 12:44 am

Thank you all! Everyone is so helpful that's why I knew I needed advice from others like me.. I try and talk to family about it and they just don't get it. I never even thought it could be skin bc it feels firm.. Not loose and flappy. But now I am wondering if it really is skin.. Is it true that insurance will cover getting the excess skin removed? I heard if you have lost a certain amount of weight from surgery that insurance will cover it.. It is frustrating bc while I am fitting into smaller clothes, my belly is preventing me from wearing even more outfits that I would love to fit in to! I am proud of my weight loss but my belly fat is really messing with me.. It's like I look in the mirror and can only see the lack of progress in that one spot rather than focus on seeing all the progress made on my body as a whole (if that makes sense). Maybe I will try searching for a plastic surgeon and receive a consultation. Thank you all I really appreciate the advice and words of wisdom! 

wyo_sarah
on 2/27/15 5:30 am

I will be 7 months out on Sunday and I started at 260, so we are pretty similar!!  I was thinking the same as you...why can't I get rid of this belly fat??  But my husband said he thought it was mostly skin.  I wear a body shaper and that REALLY helps.  I like the flexee...I get it on Amazon.  The one I have is a tank top but it goes under the breasts so you can wear your own bra and it doesn't squish the girls.  It REALLY helps with the muffin top problem.  It was a little uncomfortable to start with but I've been using it for a few months and now I feel uncomfortable without it. 

I'm also looking into plastic surgery.  I hadn't heard that insurance might pay for it, but I'm going to check into that.  But, from what I've read you want to wait a while before having surgery.  I think I'm going to wait until at least 18 months post op... partially for money reasons, but also, I want to make sure my weight is stable.

Good luck!!

reannunziata
on 3/4/15 10:47 am

I'm not sure what size to get for the flexee?... I've never in my life worn anything like this lol so I have no idea how to gauge the sizing... Is there any particular way you guesstimated the size you needed? 

wyo_sarah
on 3/4/15 11:08 am

Not really. The first one I bought was too small, I was about 200 lbs and it was an XL in a different brand. Now, I wear a medium flexee and I'm 5'6 and weigh 158.

Hislady
on 2/27/15 9:38 am - Vancouver, WA

Insurance usually only covers a pannulectomy which is removal of skin only and that is only if the skin is causing rashes and infections from rubbing on the other skin. They don't cover a full tummy tuck where the muscles are cut and a belly button is moved or made. Some surgeons will work with you if your insurance covers the skin removal and they will let you self pay for the rest of a full TT. You should be very proud to have lost so much weight, great going!!

reannunziata
on 3/4/15 10:41 am

Oh wow, okay I had no idea about that. Thank you for sharing that info and thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it! :)

Most Active
Recent Topics