VSG and GERD success stories?

Paula1965
on 3/1/15 10:35 am
VSG on 04/01/15

I'm planning on having VSG in April. I do have some GERD, controlled pretty well a 20 mg Omeprazole a day. I had an EGD a few weeks ago and my surgeon said that he didn't see any contraindications to the sleeve. I did have some esophagitis but no other abnormal findings. I have been reading a lot about people having worsening GERD or even new GERD after VSG on these boards.

What I am wondering is are there people out there that had GERD and VSG that saw improvement in their GERD once they lost weight or at least not a worsening of GERD after they had their VSG.

I really prefer the VSG but want to make the best choice!

Paula

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

GooseGirl
on 3/1/15 12:09 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I had GERD prior to VSG. I was on 40 mg Omeprazole daily and still had the occassional break through episode but it was mostly controlled. Since my VSG it has been fantastic. I actually stopped my medicine for awhile but was having some hunger like pains and determined that it was really acid and not hunger. I am taking 20 mg Omeprazole daily now and have had no issues at all. 

Like you, I had read the research and saw that GERD worsening was a possibility. I discussed it at length with my surgeon but the VSG was really the only procedure that I was interested in and I decided to risk increase in GERD symptoms. I am so glad that I did. I realize that not everyone is as lucky as I have been regarding this and I am only 17 weeks out so I suppose things could change down the road. For  me, the VSG was the right surgery and, if necessary, I will increase the Omeprazole to control GERD symptoms if they worsen. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/1/15 7:09 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I had a very mild case of gerd, most likely caused by the hiatal hernia that was found during my exam. It was corrected at surgery. Only took a ppi for awhile b4 and after surgery, no incidents so far. No gerd either., but I'm less than a year out, so not sure if anything will happen down the road, very happy with my choice in the meantime.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

MAchick
on 3/1/15 9:25 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I had bad reflux,  but fairly controlled with prilosec. After surgery I was switched to liquid zantac but began having break through acid. Once I was able to swallow pills again I switched back to prilosec. I have a little break through if I run out of pills, but nothing like it used to be! 

Melanielw
on 3/2/15 1:07 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I had bad reflux before surgery. I took all kinds of medicine to treat it but nothing ever worked besides Nexium. I did have a huge hiatal hernia which the surgeon did believe was causing the severe reflux. Since I have had the surgery I have had no reflux at all. 

Paula1965
on 3/2/15 10:08 am
VSG on 04/01/15

Thank you everyone for your input - it helps to know that there have been some successes!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

Most Active
Recent Topics