Self Sabotage?

Stacy_WLS
on 2/26/15 12:29 am

I was sitting pretty between 175 - 180 for a long time.  No big issues -- a little indulgence, the scale would creep up towards 180 and I would back off and come back towards 175. 

The last month or so my weight has been dropping again.  Now my new range I guess is 170-175.  I'm now about to dip into the 160s again (only other time was extreme dehydration)... I see myself eating more treats.  I'm wondering if I'm just justifying eating crap b/c my weight is so low?  

Arg -- the craziness of my head.  

Has anyone else seen the number on the scale (lower numbers) cause you to eat worse?

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Stacy_WLS
on 2/26/15 12:36 am

btw - i promise I'm not whining about wasting away (b/c wasting away - I am not!).  i'm more worried about the crap I have been eating the past few days and what that will lead to.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Amber G.
on 2/26/15 12:41 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Hey Stacy! I am in the SAME boat pretty much, except I am not dropping weight..just not gaining either. I have to tell my self all the time, okay this won't last for ever and you will start gaining. I honestly go back and forth with being strict. Mainly being strict when I start freaking out about the thought of gaining my weight back. Maybe the weight lose for you is coming from changing your cal intake? You know how they say to "Trick your body" by drastically changing your cals intake (higher) then dropping it again - thus breaking a stall. That might be what is going on with you? 

Stacy_WLS
on 2/26/15 12:44 am

yeah -- I also know that I have significantly upped my exercise.  I'm kind of OK w/ going down a few more lbs, but my sweet tooth is crying out for more.  

Arg!

Amber G.
on 2/26/15 12:52 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Yep, that is probably exactly what is going on. The cal change and jump in exercise! Oye, I totally hear you! I go through the same thing with sweets! Its such a slippery, sliiiiiippery slope! Oh and by the way - you look AMAZING!! 

Stacy_WLS
on 2/26/15 1:06 am

Thank you!  You too! :)  

sechax0r
on 2/26/15 1:01 am
VSG on 11/03/14

Just be aware of "Exercise Bulimia" Basically the justification to eat more because you are working out. And by the way you are doing great and look great!!

Stacy_WLS
on 2/26/15 1:05 am

yeah, this is definitely something I should keep in mind.  I'm more working out like a fiend b/c I'm addicted to the endorphins and training for a triathlon and half marathon and addicted to yoga.  my body is definitely overworked right now.  I'm trying to take it easy w/ just yoga & hockey for the next several days (but my plan calls for running & swimming too -- arg!)  I think I need to talk to my therapist.  

Thank you :)

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/15 1:59 am

Well, I'm going to start off by saying I think you are doing such a great job to be aware of what is going on with your eating and how you are viewing your eating.

You may recall that early out I stopped my weight loss by eating low density, high calorie and pretty high carb food items. I could not physically eat a lot more food and didn't want to get any smaller so I did what I thought was the easiest. In hindsight, I will say that that choice was a mistake.

You mention in a response to someone that you can hear your sweet tooth calling, or something like those lines. To me, that means you have awakened the "beast". You are at a perfect place to address this and stop the strength of this call. I'm going to suggest that since you are not in WL mode any longer you check out a book titled Intuitive Eating. I think you may be in the perfect place for this. The book's purpose is to help you learn to listen to your body when it comes to food. It also deals with learning to separate emotions from negative eating while still acknowledging the pleasure that food gives.

I think your fear is a healthy one as long as you keep it in check and don't go to the extreme on either end (too thin, or rebound with old eating habits). As one who still suffers from the diet mentality and is working very hard to correct it, I urge you to really take this warning sign seriously.

Okay, off my soapbox...

Stacy_WLS
on 2/26/15 2:12 am

The beast is definitely awake.  I'm trying to keep it on a chain, but shoving it back into a box is probably the best idea.  

I'm trying to find other options to -- increasing planned calories that are healthy.  I don't know why I find this hard to do arg!  Last week I made a larger lunch for myself and it really helped, so I think I definitely need to get back to that.  Going into the afternoon at a heavy calories deficit w/ a large workout behind me is just asking for trouble.  

Most Active
Recent Topics