Is Physical Hunger Normal?

songsiren
on 2/24/15 6:43 am

Not to jinx anything, but I'm wondering if what I'm experiencing is "normal."  I'm 2-1/2 weeks VSG post-op and keeping my protein intake between 75-80 grams per day on the pureed diet.  I'm finding that my stomach is telling me to eat about every 2 hours--physically hurting if i don't eat something.  I have no trouble swallowing, no reflux, no nausea or vomiting, and frankly, feel like I could eat more than 1/2 cup at a time without an issue (I don't though).  I'm consuming between 60-800 calories a day from mainly lant-based protein.  My labs are good, minimal hair loss. I just feel as though I eat constantly (an irony--more food obsessed than ever).  I have dropped 11 lbs from 2/6 (surgery date) to 2/24.  From what I read pre-op, VSG was supposed to REDUCE Ghrelin (the hunger hormone), but my stomach screams at me to eat every couple of hours.  Anyone else experience this post-op?  Seems like all other posters are saying they can't eat more than a spoonful or two and aren't hungry.  My metabolism seems to be running high; you'd think I'd run a marathon or something!  I was thinking of asking my surgeon if he removed enough of my stomach....

Gwen M.
on 2/24/15 7:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It is normal as a result of acid - are you taking a PPI such as prilosec or nexium?  Also, remember that your stomach's nerves were severed, so you shouldn't trust anything you think it's telling you.  But get on a PPI if you aren't already, and consider a stronger one if you are. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

songsiren
on 2/24/15 7:28 am

Interesting thought, Gwen,  but I don't have GERD, so why would I take a PPI?  And if I can't trust my stomach, how could I tell if I'm full (as the doctors tell me I should be able to)?

Gwen M.
on 2/24/15 7:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Immediately post-op, your stomach is still producing the amount of acid it did for your old stomach size.  That means that, right now, it's producing way more acid than it needs and that acid will mimic hunger.  Many of us take a PPI for the first few months post-op for exactly this reason, and it solves the issue.  

You won't be able to tell you're full until a) your stomach heals and b) you're eating solid foods.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

gaia12141
on 2/24/15 7:37 am

Drink water.  Seriously...DRINK. WATER.  I broke my week 3 stall (week 2 in my case) and resolved my "hunger" by upping my water as much as possible, I'm around 96 oz per day now.  Just do the best you can.  Drink water when you're "hungry" and see how it goes for a couple of days.

Surgery date: 2/4/15    Surgeon: Ozanan Meireles, MD, Mass General Hospital

HW/284   SW/250   CW/185   GW/150       

mickeymantle
on 2/24/15 7:54 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

your stomach will not really tell you much for the first 6 month till all the nerves that where cut heal

you ether have acid and need a ppi most of us do or it is head hunger

it can also take a while till all the extra Ghrelin leaves your body

you will be fuller when you get on solid protien , your stomach need to be full for 20 minutes to tell your brain its full

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

hollykim
on 2/24/15 8:29 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 24, 2015 at 2:43 PM Pacific Time, songsiren wrote:

Not to jinx anything, but I'm wondering if what I'm experiencing is "normal."  I'm 2-1/2 weeks VSG post-op and keeping my protein intake between 75-80 grams per day on the pureed diet.  I'm finding that my stomach is telling me to eat about every 2 hours--physically hurting if i don't eat something.  I have no trouble swallowing, no reflux, no nausea or vomiting, and frankly, feel like I could eat more than 1/2 cup at a time without an issue (I don't though).  I'm consuming between 60-800 calories a day from mainly lant-based protein.  My labs are good, minimal hair loss. I just feel as though I eat constantly (an irony--more food obsessed than ever).  I have dropped 11 lbs from 2/6 (surgery date) to 2/24.  From what I read pre-op, VSG was supposed to REDUCE Ghrelin (the hunger hormone), but my stomach screams at me to eat every couple of hours.  Anyone else experience this post-op?  Seems like all other posters are saying they can't eat more than a spoonful or two and aren't hungry.  My metabolism seems to be running high; you'd think I'd run a marathon or something!  I was thinking of asking my surgeon if he removed enough of my stomach....

if your plant based proteins are also heavy on carbs,the carbs will make you hungry. I have found also,thT of I eat carbs I can eat more and more of carbs,plus I can eat more and more of everything. I don't know how the carbs cause that but they do foe me and I have seen others post that also. 

Julie81
on 2/24/15 1:23 pm

Thank god I found my twin! I'm two weeks out.. The same as you! Hungry all the time! Today was my two week post op and I asked if they removed the hunger hormone bc mine is still chillin! I have started on some soft solids.. Helps a little.. But girl I feel you in the hunger. My NUT said some people are like us.. And that it will get better with more solids. 

VSG 2/11/15 with David Lautz

songsiren
on 2/24/15 1:32 pm

Hope so, but I have been sneaking a few solids here and there (cheese, crackers, dried edamame and it hasn't seemed to help much!  

Julie81
on 2/24/15 1:41 pm

I wasn't suppose to start soft solids until today but I had to have some early because I was ready to chew my arm off. I know what your going through.. It's difficult! As long as we are both still losing weight then we are on the right track!

VSG 2/11/15 with David Lautz

Most Active
Recent Topics