Any Post-Ops Eating Vegan?

songsiren
on 2/24/15 6:24 am

I'm 2-1/2 weeks VSG post-op.  Prior to surgery, I weighed 265, adopted a vegan diet, and lost 67 lbs.  Have lost another 11 lbs. since surgery.  Because I'm vegan for health and environmental reasons rather than moral ones, I've allowed myself to be vegetarian during this pureed phase--occasionally eating cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and egg whites.  However, I'd like to return to eating strictly vegan, as I don't miss meat and dairy just doesn't agree with my allergies and arthritis (I simply feel better when eating vegan).

Anyone out there eating a vegan diet and getting all the nutrients they need?  Pre-surgery, I pretty much ate voluminous amounts of fruits, veggies, and beans, but know that that volume simply won't be possible post-surgery, so I'm concerned about getting the micro-nutrients necessary for optimum health. I've been adding rice protein powder to soups, applesauce, malt-o-meal, etc to amp up protein content, but am looking forward to the day I can have nuts and seeds again.  The nutritionist at the surgeon's office hasn't dealt with any vegans before (though she had experience with a few vegetarians), so I can't really look to her for guidance.  In doing some research, I've discovered protease (enzymes that aid in protein digestion) may help me by making the plant proteins more bio-available.  I'm also adding spinach and kale to the one protein smoothie I drink each day.  Any other suggestions/ideas?

gaia12141
on 2/24/15 7:43 am

I'm glad you're adding rice protein supplementation; there are also a couple that are both rice and pea protein.  Stay away from soy isolate powder, large amounts of it can mess with estrogen levels.  Less processed and concentrated forms, like tofu and tempeh, are fine.  One thought is to do green juices and add to it the mildest-flavored protein powder you have.  Nuts and seeds have some protein but packaged in a lot of fat, aren't really micronutrient-rich, and will catch in your throat quite a lot (I tried).  That's all I got.

Surgery date: 2/4/15    Surgeon: Ozanan Meireles, MD, Mass General Hospital

HW/284   SW/250   CW/185   GW/150       

gaia12141
on 2/24/15 7:44 am
gaia12141
on 2/24/15 7:47 am
Modest_Phoenix
on 2/24/15 8:09 am

Check out Dr. Garth Davis, he is a WLS doctor that promotes a vegan diet.  He has a website and Facebook page. Also check into Dr. Matthew Weiner on YouTube. He has a series of informational videos about vegetarian and vegan diet agree WLS. He promotes a vegetarian diet after three months post-op. I'm mostly vegetarian and hope to transition to full lacto-ovo vegetarian by this summer.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

Grim_Traveller
on 2/24/15 10:39 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I eat all vegan. That is, all of my food was vegan before I ate it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Julie81
on 2/24/15 1:27 pm

I'm not vegan but really like a lot of vegan foods and want to amp up my fruit and veggie intake ( when I can). I feel like it's so important esp bc were not getting all the nutrients we should be!

VSG 2/11/15 with David Lautz

songsiren
on 2/24/15 1:36 pm

Agreed.  I've been blenderizing spinach and kale into my protein drinks to boost veggie intake, as well as drinking V8 juice.  

Julie81
on 2/24/15 1:43 pm

That's a good idea.. I'll have to try that!

VSG 2/11/15 with David Lautz

Most Active
Recent Topics