Life Upheaval

drea29
on 2/24/15 10:15 pm

This is very stressful please be kind to yourself.  Hoping things go well with her Dad's surgery.  I went through this last year with my sister and the constant running and worrying can trigger old behaviors.  I also prepared my food and would take it with me.  This has never happened before in my life and I am pretty old, 59, but I lost 5 pounds.  Some days when things were very touch and go I simply could not eat.  You are super aware and will have to make some adjustments.  I sometimes fall apart after things get better so take care.  Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

momsy55
on 2/24/15 10:13 pm - ME

Gwen, did I read it right that you're only 18?  You are so mature and insightful for someone that young - I admire you!  I'm so sorry for what you and your family are going through.  I've been there with both of my parents.  I was just in my 20's when my mom passed.  I lost my dad a couple of years ago, in my 50's.  I ate through my mom's illness - even remember scanning the contents of the fridge, in my mind, when I heard her illness was terminal.  While eating numbed the pain, I realized years later, that it also robbed me of the opportunity to experience this phase of my mom's life fully, and to be present for her and myself.  With my dad, I was a little over a year post surgery and was fully present for him.  You are a strong and brave young woman.  It's so understandable that you've struggled with food during this time.  As others have said, be kind to yourself.  Finding time for you will be extremely difficult right now.  Maybe, instead of trying to do formal exercise, take extra steps whenever you can - use the stairs at the hospital, take the long way around and power walk, etc.   When the urge to snack takes over, get yourself a satisfying beverage to sip on.  My go to, which makes me feel I'm having a treat, is decaf coffee with sweetener and just a shot of hot chocolate - low in calories and carbs, but takes yummy.  Most of all, be good to yourself.  You're in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep us posted!. Hugs!  Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Stacy_WLS
on 2/25/15 12:26 am

Gwen - I'm so sorry about your father.  That is really hard to deal with.  I see the same thing happening with my father in the next few years and it is really scary!  Cancer is a beast :( 

Remember that you need to take care of yourself b/c you can't be there for everyone else if you aren't at your best.  

I hope the surgery next week goes well and your fathers recovery is swift!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

J Connel
on 2/25/15 12:31 am
VSG on 04/13/15

Gwen, hugs to you!! I'll keep all of you in my thoughts and will hope all goes well with your Dad's surgery!

JC 5'3" HW: 283.2 SW: 224.6 CW: 140.0  M1: -20.0 M2: -10.2 M3: -13.6 M4: -6.4 M5: -7.2 M6: -7.8 M7: -6.2  M8: -5.8 M9: -2.2 M10: -5

GOAL WEIGHT ACHIEVED 2/2/16 

Follow my blog at: www.sleeveforme2014.wordpress.com

Gwen M.
on 2/25/15 12:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I wish I had the mental fortitude to reply to you all right now, but I don't.  I really appreciate all of your kind messages.  

And, to clear things up, I'm 37 - soon to be 38.  Definitely not 18, although my next weight goal is to reach the weight I was at age 18.  My parents are turning 72 this year.  Entirely too young for this.  :/

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MF_Brooklyn
on 2/25/15 1:00 am

Best of luck and lots of well wishes to you. You're a dedicated, amazing daughter to what sounds like a really wonderful dad. Don't forget to take scare of yourself. You're doing great. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/15 1:04 am

Gwen I am sorry that you and your family are going through a very difficult time. It's so hard to watch those we love being sick and needing constant care. Because we remember how independent and caring they were to use as children growing up. I pray that the surgeons will have a successful outcome for your dad. Please take care of yourself. And remember just as you have been here for us, we are here for you. Be well.

Leebee3
on 2/25/15 5:19 am
VSG on 01/22/15

Gwen, I'm so sorry to read all that you are going through.   Prayers for you and your family.  I know how hard it is to deal with an ailing parent. I dealt with the same issues with my dad some years back, he was battling melanoma. I let everything take precedence over me and at the time the weight started rising.   I now know that no amount of food would take away the pain.  Give yourself some leeway but try as hard as you can to make time for yourself.   Hang in there.   

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/25/15 5:55 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I'm so sorry Gwen 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

susan88
on 2/25/15 10:07 pm
VSG on 08/08/14 with

Gwen,

I am so sorry to hear about your father's health issues.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I am dealing with health issues with my parents and understand how stressful it is. Take time for yourself.  Both of your parents need your strength and health. It's good that you have the discipline to recognize the need for exercise.  It is such a stress relief.

God bless.

Susan

Most Active
Recent Topics