I'm afraid I will die.

Julie81
on 2/21/15 8:34 am

Tanya

i just had my VSG on 2/11.. It was my first surgery and first time being put under. I was scared to death.. Convinced I was going to die. I woke up.. You will too. Have faith in your team! If u can do this.. Anyone can.

VSG 2/11/15 with David Lautz

alexrichiemama
on 2/21/15 9:12 am

What you are feeling is totally normal!!! I had a vsg over 6 years ago and I was a basket case!! My bff went w/ me to Mex and I just kept telling myself that I was just going down there to check things out and if I felt uncomfortable at any time, I would leave. The night before the surgery I was crying really hard (I am just a silly person) and she talked me down asking questions like: you checked out this surgeon, right? And he's had all successes, right? You've had other surgeries and been okay, right? This is something you have always wanted, right? 

Also, ask the doctor to give you some diazepam for the night before if possible. 

I will tell you that being 6 1/2 years out not a day passes that I don't look in the mirror and tell myself I am glad I did it. I also had two little kids at the time, but I still did it.

Also, just pray for peace. That also worked for me.

You will wake up!!! 

My only regret is that I didn't do the surgery sooner!

Best wishes!!!

Carolyn W.
on 2/21/15 9:23 am

Hi Tanya! I was actually in the almost same position as you. I don't have kids, but I am young (18) and I weighed in at 200 on the day of my surgery. I also have PCOS. The chances of not waking up are very slim to none. It's extremely rare. I think it's normal to be worried, but, you need to remind yourself that you are in great hands! If you have had surgeries before and have woken up from them, I highly doubt anything will happen. You would know by now if you were allergic to anything they use. They use the same stuff to put you under for this surgery. 

poet_kelly
on 2/21/15 9:13 pm - OH

This surgery is about as risky as any other abdominal surgery.  So the chance of not waking up is as great as it was when you had your gall bladder surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cheezczar
on 3/17/15 1:59 am
VSG on 03/26/15

I'm having surgery the 26th of March. How did yous turn out?

stephankie
on 3/17/15 2:11 am - Midlothian, TX

I had the exact same fear.  I even went as far as to appologize to people I had hurt, and prepare a will.  This is a very normal fear for any type of surgery.  What you need to focus on is that because of your size, the likelyhood of you living a long life is smaller.  With this surgery, you will be more healthy, and be more available to those kiddos.  Hang in there.  Life is beautiful when weight isn't such an issue.  You will have a new energy, and a new lease on life.  Good luck! 

molfish62
on 3/17/15 2:30 am
VSG on 03/07/15

The day of my surgery nothing was going right. I forgot my toiletries, my plane had to return to St. Louis so I missed my connecting flight and was going to be hours late, I spent six hours sitting in the airport in Phoenix, I hadn't had anything bu****er and was starving, when I got there I found out my debit card had a daily limit & the department that could lift it was closed (but had I been able to get there on time they would've been open), so I couldn't pay for the whole surgery at once. I was standing in the little changing room before my x-Rays crying and thinking "I shouldn't be doing this. I should have canceled and gone home or had a nice vacation in San Diego!" But I went through with it & I'm glad I did. 

Honestly I was never scared of the surgery as much as I was that I was choosing the wrong thing. I just reminded myself of all my research and that I was well prepared. 

If you believe this is the best choice for you & your health, then try to reassure yourself as much as possible, but accept that some nerves are certainly normal! If you really aren't sure, you can cancel or reschedule. 

Molly

VSG on 3/7/15. 

Add me on myfitnesspal: molfish6 

Most Active
Recent Topics