I'm afraid I will die.

Meghan704
on 2/20/15 12:09 pm
VSG on 06/16/15

I haven't had my surgery yet and I am in the beginning stages. I had the EXACT same fears. I met with my surgeon this week and he told me bariatric surgery definitely isn't as scary as I'm making it out to be. For VSG you are under about 40 minutes or so and he said having gallbladder surgery is more dangerous than having bariatric surgery today. Just let that sink in. You can do it!

TeressaJ
on 2/20/15 12:47 pm

Hi, Tanya, I was petrified and almost walked out after being prepped for my surgery. But one thought kept me there: God is in control. Not me. I could possibly die on the operating table and not even know it or I could remain obese and continue to die slowly, day by day. Diabetes, high blood pressure, liver disease, was already attacking me because of my obesity. I had tried everything to lose weight and succeeded many times but it always came back. I knew I needed this surgery. I am now 78 lbs lighter, from 213 to 135 and don't have a single health problem! No more meds, feeling great, so worth it. I prayed before deciding on this surgery and truly felt it was right for me.

mickeymantle
on 2/20/15 2:13 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

this is a very safe surgery , with very few deaths and there usually with people that have very bad health problems  are older or lie to there surgeon about there health

most good surgeons do lots of pre op testing to check that you are healthy enough for surgery

I went to a cardiologist, hematologist, gastroenterologist, endocrinologist, had a stress test , blood work , endoscope, colonoscopy, sleep study    

with a skilled surgeon with lots of practice doing vsg there is little chance of dieing , there is always a slight chance people die getting a tooth pulled

your young and you say helthy so all should be fine

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Bella_Fein
on 2/20/15 2:29 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

Honestly I wasn't afraid at all. My husband was terrified for me. Maybe that's why I wasn't haha. One of us had to be strong. It is very normal to be scared. A lot of people have the guilt. They feel they are being selfi**** is not selfish to take care of yourself. Moms are the worst about doing this. We live to take care and love others that depend on us.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

TexasTerritory
on 2/20/15 4:50 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
You should do just great!

Mary Gee
on 2/20/15 6:08 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
For some reason, this surgery scares the bejesus out of so many people -- you are not alone. As someone mentioned, it may be the fear of the social/emotional changes you will be going through. You know logically the surgery is safe - most people who have had the surgery say they wish they did it so one. Having the surgery is the best thing you can do for yourself and your children.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Eggface
on 2/20/15 7:10 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Last I read the mortality rate is 0.10%-0.11% (Journal of the American College of Surgeons, American Surgical Association) safer than gallbladder removal, one of the most routine surgical procedures in America... and you did fine with that :) 

Follow your Dr's orders... dehydration is a common reason people are readmitted post WLS. Sip tha****er. 

Sending you good thoughts and prayers. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Pegasus_AM
on 2/20/15 8:56 pm, edited 2/20/15 8:56 pm

I haven't had surgery yet either and I think the fear is normal, most of the surgeries we have really aren't by choice. We have them because something is wrong and causing us pain or affecting our health and it becomes a must to be healthy. This surgery really isn't any different except we are choosing to pursue it but the ultimate goal is still to be healthy. The studies I have read on deaths surrounding bariatric surgery are usually related to people who are 400+ lbs and have multiple health problems. You sound young and healthy by medical standards and I'm sure if your Doctor had any serious concerns about your chances he would have been very up front about them. I have also read that a lot of deaths occur post-op with people not being complaint with the vitamin regiment and they wide up with massive imbalances in there blood and run into medical emergencies. Short ending to a long winded story. Your having this surgery to be more healthy no difference from your other 2 and as long as you follow your program you'll be golden :-) Fear is normal :-) Keep us posted on how your doing.

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Jenna77
on 2/21/15 12:10 am
VSG on 02/25/15

You are not alone. I am having surgery on the 25th and I am nervous about this too. I also have two children and I am terrified I won't wake up and be here for them. But like others have mentioned, being healthier for myself and my children has to trump that fear. They deserve a healthy mom that isn't insecure because of her weight and one that can run and play with them. I think the fear is normal. The last time I was put to sleep for a very quick surgery I was terrified but came out okay. 

I say talk to your doctor and anesthesiologist about your fears. I mentioned them to my dr the other day and told him that is what I was worried about the most. He said it is his job to make sure I wake up and come out of it.

BTW I have PCOS too so I know how difficult it is to lose the weight and keep it off. I am short and around 211(thank you pre op shakes) so I understand why you are having surgery. Good luck!! You are not selfish and even if it seems that way YOU deserve to be happy and healthy!  

5'1 Consult: 227 HW: 232 SW:212 CW:131 GW: 120 Pant size start: 18/20 Current: size 6/8

M1: 195 (-17) M2: 184.6 (-10.4) M3: 176.6 (-8) M4: 168.2 (-8.4) M5: 160 (-8.2) M6: 155.4 (-4.6) M7: 145.6 (-9.8) M8: 141 (-4.6) M9: 137 (-4) M10: 135.8 (-1.2) M11: 135 (-.8) M12: 131 (-4) M13: (-0) M14: (-0) M15: (-0) 

Have stopped losing pounds but am losing inches! 

Shonaboo
on 2/21/15 7:55 am

Hi Tanya, I know exactly how you feel, I am going through the same thing and have not even had a date set for me yet but, I'm putting this situation in God's hands because I figure either I can die slowly or get the help I need to be able to live longer. You have 2 children that depend on you like you said so do it for them. I have a 20 year old and I would like to see some grandbabies. I started this journey in 2013 and chickened out...but I'm ready now and you do the same, you are not as heavy as myself I weigh 479 and I have High blood pressure, C.O.P.D., and I sleep with a Bi-Pap machine...I have been this way all my life and I am so ready. I had to have clearances to have this surgery so you are doing better than myself...Pray sweetie, we are both going to be okay...Nothing but well wishes hun!!

Most Active
Recent Topics