Anyone else been unsecessful with their weight loss? 3 years out

Daviegrandma
on 2/22/15 11:21 pm - Davie, FL

I am back on the board... I am so disappointed with myself. I had my surgery July 2011 and still struggle everyday. I have lost 28 pounds since my surgery which I think is horrible. I never had a support group here at home and never went back to the doctor either. I though I could do it by myself. But that  is not possible. Has anyone else had this problem and how do you get back on track?  

wyo_sarah
on 2/22/15 11:37 pm

Wow. I can't imagine going through this and not being successful or following up with a doctor.  In my opinion (take it or leave it) the first thing you should do is make an appointment with your doctor.  I would be concerned about vitamin and mineral levels.  Then, I would look very closely at what and HOW you are eating.  Do you still feel restriction?  I'm assuming that you do, but probably aren't making the right food choices, or eating too frequently.  If you eat dense proteins, I hope you will find that you can't eat that much.  So, cut out the carbs, cut out the snacks and focus on meat.  My doctor said that psychologically we need to fill full, so eat some dense protein that is going to make you feel full.  Then, eat 5 hours later and eat protein again.  I hope this helps.  I can imagine your frustration in going through this surgery and not being successful.  But, the only one who can change that is you.

MF_Brooklyn
on 2/23/15 12:06 am

I understand how you must be feeling. I had a bad history with Lapband and lost a similar amount, and felt like I failed. I haevthe sleeve now about a month. I approached t very differently. 

What do you think happened? Did you have things that were easy to go down but may not have been recommended like ice cream and creamy soups? 

I agree with making an appointment. It can be hard to set foot back int he same place. If you feel like your doctor isn't supportive at that meeting, you have a right to change that doctor. But just see how it goes. 

Then i would 100% get to a therapist (maybe even the same day). The therapist should specialize in behavior and you can actually get a good recco from your doctor or, if you google bariatric therapy. I think that would really help look at this. 

All is not lost. You can still get back on track. I'm not a veteran by any means, but I do know there's a place on this site where many people have slipped or not been on track and they discuss how to get "back on the wagon". I think there's a pouch test and a few things to follow to get back on the stick. 

Best of luck! Hope to hear good news from you soon! 

Daviegrandma
on 2/23/15 12:37 am - Davie, FL

Thank you... I will do just that...

ipray
on 2/23/15 12:12 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Try not to dwell on your failures, but look at your accomplishments.  You did lose 28 pounds so you know that it is possible for you to lose more.  I would listen to the advice of the previous reponder.  She is right!  And you really do need to find out why you are keeping yourself from doctors, food program, etc. (It sounds like you may be avoiding them to keep yourself from being happy).  Have your surgeons office refer you to an obesity therapist and make an appointment to see your surgeon so they can get you back on track.  (And don't be embarrased, as you aren't the only person that has struggled.  This forum is proof of that).  Just pick yourself up and try again with a new attitude and a little help.  (I am a newbie, so if this happens to me, I am going to make myself read my response to you so that I take my own advice).  God Bless!  

scangeleyes
on 2/23/15 12:40 am - summerville, SC

you need to start measuring and tracking you food  80 gm protien  800 calories, 65 oz liquid , 30 gm  carbs , if you follow this plan you must loss 

make an appointment with your pcp and check if any meds your taking will prevent weight loss , actos is one , lithium is an other

then see your surgeon if possible

a eating disorder therapist might help alot

Tracy D.
on 2/23/15 12:23 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I haven't had that problem but I could certainly envision that happening.  My SIL has had two WLS and has failed at both of them.  

I guess the most important question is actually this:   Why do you think you failed at this?  What behaviors were you unwilling to change?  Please tell us what went wrong and then we can provide guidance.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

aharris30
on 2/23/15 12:26 am
VSG on 05/13/14

As you may know by now, this surgery is just a TOOL and not a cure all. The surgeon did his part and you must correctly do yours. I know its hard, sucks, and frustrating. But whatever willpower you had to have the surgery done you must find it and use it to follow through on the proper diet and way of eating. My suggestion to getting back on track would be to jumpstart with an atkins/paleo diet. And that's just my opinion. Seems like you haven't let the carbs go and atkins has really helped me keep those in check. Others will hopefully chime in too. Good luck.

MsBatt
on 2/23/15 3:56 am

If you're eating properly but can't lose weight, perhaps you needed a more aggressive form of surgery. Have you considered adding the intestinal portion for a complete Duodenal Switch?

Grim_Traveller
on 2/23/15 5:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm sorry you are still struggling. The surgery can do great things, but it can't overcome bad eating habits. The solution is not complicated, but it is really, really hard to do. 

I hope you find the motivation to overcome this. It's obvious this has been gnawing at you for a long while. Almost three years ago you were having yhe same struggle:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4511203/Confession-of- a-failure/#37344233

OK, here goes... I am hoping to hear from others who have felt like a failure or get some support to get back on track and get real..

I was sleeved July 25, 2011 and so far lost only 42 pounds. I have lost and gained over the past 3 months.. My eating habits are horrible. I find I am still always hungry and eat out of boredom. I eat in the car, I eat in front of the television and now have started to eat in bed. I am eating things I should not. Candy, potato chips, ice cream, chocolate and carbs... Nothing has changed on my head. I do not eat as much, but I still eat the wrong foods.

Daily, I say to myself I am going to get back on track and I fail... I am not exercising and feel like I wasted a great tool.

I need to snap out of it... But how?  

Good luck. Please stick around and try to get some help.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics