Help! Still can't tolerate meats/eggs. (About 4 months out).

ipray
on 2/22/15 10:09 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I have been struggling with my sleeve. I cannot tolerate meats, shrimp or eggs very well.  Even thin deli meats are hard for me. I am measuring and weighing everything that I eat and I am cutting everything into tiny, tiny pieces and chewing to mush and not eating fast.  I am still trying to eat these foods every day anyway because I want to transition to normal foods. I am not vomitting, but it hurts from the very first bite.  I have been cooking in the crock pot so that my meats are moist.  It doesn't help.  Did any of you have this problem in the first 4 months?  If so, does it get better?  (I am still meeting my protein goals with shakes, yogart, cheese, nuts, tuna, cottage cheese and forcing the meats/eggs anyway).  Having a tough time.  (Nausa in morning too, but I received help from others here and their advice seemed to help so far).  Thanks everyone!

Valerie G.
on 2/22/15 10:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I would have conceerns too if you're experiencing true pain.  It's something to bring up with the doc for sure.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ipray
on 2/22/15 10:56 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Thank you Valerie! I have an appointment with my surgeon on Friday and I am going to ask him about it.  Take care and thanks again!

gaia12141
on 2/22/15 10:43 am

Have you talked about this with your program's dietitian?  I don't think forcing meats/eggs is a good idea; your body is telling you it can't handle them right now.   I understand wanting to transition to normal foods, but your body and sleeve just aren't there yet.  I'd stick with what you can easily tolerate until you can talk with your nutritionist.

Surgery date: 2/4/15    Surgeon: Ozanan Meireles, MD, Mass General Hospital

HW/284   SW/250   CW/185   GW/150       

ipray
on 2/22/15 10:55 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

I have an appointment with my surgeon on Friday, but will send an email to my nutritionist.  I think you are correct, I shouldn't be forcing anything until my body is ready.  Since I am meeting my protein goals anyway, I am going to cut way back on the meats/eggs and reintroduce them 1/2 oz to 1 oz at a time.  It is just weird that I have pain from the first bite on.  I would think it would be after I have eaten.  Thank you so much for your response and I am going to take your advice! 

diaamajed
on 2/22/15 11:34 am

3.5 months since my VSG. I can eat 2-3 once of chicken breast  or lean ground beef or turkey  with no issue if add more then I feel worried with some pain. I can eat one egg and max 1.5 eggs.  I did not try steak or beef yet .

ipray
on 2/22/15 10:49 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Thank you for your experience!  I am eating 3 oz of meat, so maybe I need to cut back.  This surgery is such a learning curve!

jarabacoagirl
on 2/22/15 3:03 pm, edited 2/22/15 3:05 pm
VSG on 12/17/12

For me I was around 8 months post op before meat and eggs stopped bothering me.  I promise it does get better and you will feel normal again.  My problem now is keeping the weight off I no longer have sensitivity to any food.  I'm over 2 years post op.  But I remember those days of having sensitivity to different food textures especially meat n eggs like you said.  

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

ipray
on 2/22/15 10:47 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that has felt this way! About you, you worked to hard to get the weight off to risk weight gain. (Not to mention the stress of the operation itself!) Try not to go back to the old habits. (Maybe check back in with doctor/nutritionist to let them know that you are struggling). Good luck to you and thank you for your response!  

BrendaRae
on 2/22/15 9:32 pm, edited 2/22/15 9:33 pm
VSG on 01/13/15

If you are having problems getting food down at 4 months there is definitely a problem. Sounds like you have a stricture. Please see your surgeon. What size bougie did your surgeon use? 

Most Active
Recent Topics