weight restriction postoperative

Journey2be
on 2/22/15 10:04 am

It didn't really occur to me til the other day bit now I'm very concerned. I have a 25lb almost 2yr old and my surgery is next week. What is the weight restriction the Dr's gave you and for how long? I've heard 6wks, but that's just not an option for me, I need to be able to pick my baby up out of her crib and my husband works long hours and won't be much help. My 8 yr old can help me when he's home but I'm on my own while he's in school. I'll be off work 4-5wks. Also how long did you all take off work. I'm a nurse so I fairly physically strenuous so that's why I'm told I'll need that long. 

Valerie G.
on 2/22/15 10:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Nothing more than 8 lbs for 8 weeks.  Breaking this rule can give you a hernia, which will require another surgery.  You may want to consider transitioning the baby to a toddler bed before you have surgery.  I would also recommend some help at home for the first couple of weeks with the baby.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Journey2be
on 2/22/15 10:48 am

Oh crap! How did I not think of this till now! Thanks for the reply. 

PrayMore
on 2/22/15 11:12 am

My doctor repeated time and time again that I shouldn't lift anything that required me to 'bear down' for 8 weeks. He said this more than he said anything to me! And I took that even as a large bottle of laundry detergent or a case of water. So, definitely, your 25 lb. toddler will pose a challenge. Maybe you can put the stroller in the house and stay on one floor when no one is home to help you! I wish you the best!!!

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

pineview01
on 2/22/15 11:24 am - Davison, MI

Mine was 10 pounds for 6/8 week.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Sasny
on 2/22/15 12:28 pm
VSG on 03/20/12

I had a two year old and three year old at the time of surgery and about 5 days post surgery I went to my son in the middle of the night and without thinking about it picked him up from his crib and brought him back to my bed.  Next morning I realized what I did.  I felt fine and at my next checkup I told my surgeon about what I did.  He said that few moms with babies are able to follow the weight lifting restrictions and that not to worry about it.  He suggested not doing too much lifting but was practical about it.  It was a great excuse with my kids - mommy can't carry you because I have a boo boo.  I kept the lifting to a minimum - only to help out of the crib and did not carry them for any distance.  I was also in the hospital post surgery for three nights and then at my parents for one night - so I had four days to recover child free.  My recovery was very fast and I was able to take care of both kids by the time I got home.  Good luck with your surgery.

Friends K.
on 2/22/15 12:36 pm
RNY on 01/14/14

Mine was 2 1/2 but no longer in a crib, she just had to crawl in and out of cars and bed.  It was easy and my restriction was only for 2 weeks and I was back to work!

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

Angie2015
on 2/22/15 12:44 pm

I had surgery on the 10th came home on the 13th. My daughter is 23lbs. I just tried not to carry her around as much but I had no choice really as my husband also works a lot.  I was told not to lift over 20lbs for 6weeks. I have been fine lifting her in and out of the crib and carrying her when needed since I got home. However, My 49lb four year old has been out of luck though lol time to be a big boy. 

mickeymantle
on 2/22/15 1:49 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

mine says 10 lb for 6 weeks my hubby had different surgery and his surgeon said the same thing

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

kagrady2005
on 2/22/15 10:45 pm
VSG on 09/10/14

I'd just like to make a suggestion to you. I had a 27 pound almost 2 year old after my surgery. I started about 2 weeks before my surgery teaching her how to do a "controlled fall" (as my husband calls it) out of her crib. I would go in every morning and lower her rail. I put a bean bag on the floor right outside her crib. Then I'd put a very firm pillow for her to stand on inside her crib. She would step up, sling her leg over the rail and ease out onto the bean bag. I never had to lift her. For her naps, I got a little cot at Walmart for about $20 that she could crawl on and off by herself.

For changing diapers, I simply sat on the floor next to her changing table and changed her on the floor. We do have one of those cradle pad things for the changing table so I just put that on the floor too.

For meals, I started before the surgery making sure she could just crawl into a regular chair instead of her highchair. Normally, we have a highchair that's pushed up to the table so she eats at the table but is up higher.

Those are the big things I could think of that I did with her so I didn't have to lift her. If you have any other questions, let me know! I'm glad to help!

Most Active
Recent Topics