I'm so surprised by...

BlueHeron81
on 2/22/15 1:58 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

...how little I can eat.  Yesterday was my first day on soft foods.  I had been preparing for this day since surgery.  I had my meal plan ready, and I was so excited to eat real food.  For dinner, I planned to have pan-seared fish with yellow squash.  I was kinda disappointed when I could only eat about an eighth of the fish and about three spoonfuls of squash.  My mouth was surely ready but my stomach wasn't able.  I'm happy to be able to be physically satisfied by such small amounts of food, but something in me is a little disappointed that I'm unable to satisfy my taste buds that seem to want more.  Has anyone else had this feeling?

Kiwideb
on 2/22/15 2:01 am
VSG on 01/19/15

Yes, yes and yes.

I wasn't an emotional eater, nor a binger (well except for once a month when chips called my name) but oh my lord I miss enjoying food. So much.

I know I will again, as my brain learns it can feel enjoyment from a mouthful or two, but it seems so far away.

I learned the hard way yesterday. I ate the other half of the sausage I had with a poached egg for breakfast... So so the wrong thing to do. Lord I felt awful for the rest of the day. I couldn't drink for hours after without getting that all coming up feeling and didn't eat anything until 10pm to just try force some more protein in!  Stupid yummy veal brat. 

Mary Gee
on 2/22/15 3:02 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
I admit there are times I just want to "chow down" .... but I get physically I'll if I eat too much. Sometimes I'll see a commercial for The Olive Garden and dream about Fettuccine Alfredo....... But, those thoughts are dwindling and I try to cook new recipes so I'm more satisfied. It gets easier. And my new life is so worth the effort. Just have to look at the "Big Picture"!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

BlueHeron81
on 2/22/15 6:07 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

You're right.  I definitely need to look at the big picture.  I'm getting my life back. How do you handle going out to eat if you can only eat a small amount?

AndreasJourney
on 2/22/15 9:42 am

I honestly have the same feeling - amazed that I can't eat a lot and wishing I could. I avoid going out right now because I feel that focusing on learning to eat healthy is more important right now. However when I have gone out I do order off the senior menu or just get the food item I want and hold the sides (ie I wanted eggs for breakfast, but there wasn't an option for just eggs so I ordered eggs, bacon and fruit - gave away everything but my eggs). 

(deactivated member)
on 2/22/15 4:41 am

Yup! Been there.

Going to put it to you bluntly - that is head hunger or emotional hunger. That is something that you will want to monitor very closely as you go through this journey. That sense of dissatisfaction after eating can be a ***** of a nemesis in the long run. I believe I know to my core what you're talking about because I felt that way several times early out. I ignored those feelings, when I really should have addressed them. Don't make my mistake. Deal with those feelings and discover from where they come. I wish I had done that three years ago instead of doing it now.

Not trying to scare you. You can take what I say or leave it. Your words just really rang a familiar bell for me and if I can save you from some of the crap I've dealt with, hallelujah!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/22/15 5:06 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Did you eat slowly? Maybe that will 'trick' your taste buds into submission! Also, just my view, others may differ, but I would have eaten more fish instead of the three spoonfulls of squash. Protein first. Maybe one spoonfull for variety and taste but fill up on protein first and foremost.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

BlueHeron81
on 2/22/15 6:03 am - MD
VSG on 01/30/15

I ate it very slowly because I was kinda nervous about how my stomach would handle it. It tasted so good though and I wanted more but I didnt.

Sandy M.
on 2/22/15 6:07 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

You betcha!  I had to do a lot of "food grieving" after surgeries (I had lapband first, then VSG when the lapband failed).  Recognize it for what it is - saying goodbye to your old life.  Even though it hurt you, constantly disappointed you, and was toxic, it's still hard saying goodbye, just like it is saying goodbye to a toxic person in your life.  

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Most Active
Recent Topics