800 cal. to lose regain - is it starvation?

califsleevin
on 2/22/15 2:22 am - CA

How very unfashionable, Grim - don't you "know" that "calories don't count" and that all you have to do to lose weight is cut out "X" from your diet (X being whatever is the baddie food of the day - carbs, eggs, fats, grains or whatever,) and you can have as much of everything else as you want? I think I saw it on YouTube, so it must be true.

A few months ago I was on a low fat diet for a month or so (for specific medical issues, not weight loss) and after close to three years of weight stability, I lost eight pounds because I couldn't get in enough calories to keep my weight up. Despite doing all of the "wrong" things according to the current fads - increasing my intake of grains, bananas, potatoes and other root vegetables - the weight dropped because of the caloric deficit. Short lesson here is to do whatever you can to get the calories down to create an effective deficit from your overall metabolic rate.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Bearz
on 2/22/15 6:57 am

I love that blog. It really opened my eyes thanks grim

stephanieplum
on 2/22/15 2:09 am
VSG on 06/27/12

Love this article!!!!  Thanks for posting!!!

PaulaToronto
on 2/23/15 6:16 am - Toronto, Canada

thanks Grimm.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

TruemansMom
on 2/23/15 6:19 am
VSG on 06/24/13

the newest Reader's Digest had an interesting list of common "mythes" about weight loss and healthy eating. you might look for it.

Just remember to take your vits when you go that low.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

PaulaToronto
on 2/24/15 1:13 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks, vitamins have never been an issue for me - I take them religiously.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Most Active
Recent Topics