Just a thought

TexasPrincess08
on 2/20/15 9:32 am
VSG on 09/15/14

I am currently at work and had a thought. I am a hostess at a restaurant and I see a lot of people. Have you ever seen somebody who was so overweight you wanted to share your wisdom of life after weight loss surgery? I did tonight I really wish people would consider it and I wi**** didn't get such a bad rep. I didnt share my wisdom, but I wanted to. I got an awesome compliment from a guest this evening that made my night. She told me I looked like a movie star! I truly feel like the person I'm becoming is the person who has been hiding from me! Loll be sure to post a pic of my look tonight!

Kiwideb
on 2/20/15 10:13 am
VSG on 01/19/15

I'm new to it all, and I'm very open with what I've done, but I could see it not being taken well (not that it was intended as anything but good intent).

My main reason to say that is it could be taken as you feeling they were 'not good enough' - a feeling we have all seen and felt on any number of occasions. (thats not saying you feel that towards the person, btw). I think is finding that fine line between testifying and preaching.

Not every over weight person feels badly about themselves, and for some, it is all they see. I'm think I'll take the route of in conversation with someone they express interest, I will happily let them know.

Sandy M.
on 2/20/15 11:16 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

My advice?  Wait for them to ask.  If someone asks how I did it, I'm honest about the surgery, but don't pu**** on anyone.  You'll find out that some people might come back to you months later with more questions.  I usually refer them here to Obesity Help so that they can get a sense of the struggles from multiple people.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

TexasPrincess08
on 2/20/15 11:59 am
VSG on 09/15/14

I had no intention of saying anything. It was just a thought. I in no way meant it in a bad way either just in case. I am the last person who would ever shame or judge someone because of their weight. I mean yeah you could be happy with yourself no matter what size you are, I mean I was, but it's a different kind of happy and a totally different self-respect for yourself at least that's the way I feel. I smile A LOT more and I LOVE taking pictures of myself that's a new NSV for me I used to hate taking my picture. 

TeressaJ
on 2/20/15 1:07 pm

Compliments  are a new thing for me, and I blush every time, but I always answer by telling them I had surgery. If they want to know more I tell them, if they don't seem interested it stops there. I have a weird obsession now about wanting all obese people to have the same choice I had about surgery so I'm very open about telling my story.

Most Active
Recent Topics