Bravo test Results

AK_Gipson
on 2/19/15 6:37 am
VSG on 04/14/14

i had my EGD/bravo Test last week. I got the results today. I have a small hernia. I am also in the 2-3% of people who develop a "significant amount of acid" in my stomach, after getting the sleeve. So here are my choices ... 

1) go up to 60mg a day of Previcid plus I can take Pepcid. Which my insurance will probably not cover this amount of meds. (30mg is the max dose.) and I will be on this long term. He does not think I will be able to wean off the meds, but will pretty much be on them forever. Previcid has some long term liver effects....

2) get a revision from sleeve to RNY. 

We want to try the meds for 2 months and see. But frankly I'm scared of the side effects of all the meds :( and I don't want to not be able to take my NSAIDS if I have rny. 

I have no idea what to do.

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

mickeymantle
on 2/19/15 7:03 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

there are many drugs you can try for acid some work better than others for some people including one that just lines your stomach

ppi and h2 blockers

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/19/15 7:08 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Have you spoken with your dr about not being able to take nsaids with rny, maybe he can give you alternatives to try now that would alleviate your pain. Changing your diet to not include foods that have a lot of acid like no coffee, oj, etc., might cut down on the amount of damage it can do. Is the hernia because of the sleeve? 

You might be better off with the rny & find alternatives for the nsaids.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

happyteacher
on 2/19/15 9:22 pm

I am not sure how much dietary adjustments will help in your case, but for me it does have an impact. Avoiding acidic coffee, eating foods that counter the acid (carrot juice, milk or whatever...) can help to tamper that down. I get that it can only go so far, but it is worth a shot. Here is an article on foods to avoid (pretty much all of my favorites) and one on foods that can help. There are cookbooks devoted to this as well. If it were me I would try all of the tips and tricks to see how far I could get it reduced. If I had a known hernia I would have that fixed prior to resorting to Rny. I know preop I had a hiatel hernia and I was drowning in  acid. The doc found it and repaired it, so no acid issues (persistently anyway) since. Acid issues can be pretty miserable so I hope you are able to find a path that works well for you- and if that includes revision to Rny then I would forge through with that as well. Long term acid build up, in my humble opinion, is far more damaging than taking some meds to treat it. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Tracy D.
on 2/20/15 12:15 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Prevacid and Pepcid didn't do **** for me.  I had to go on prescription Protonix (40mg a day) and my insurance totally covered that.  And my co-pay is cheap, like $8/mo. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics