3 month post out - Feeling Depressed??

MsPayne731
on 2/23/15 10:24 pm - Dexter, MI
VSG on 11/25/14

So, I am 3 months post out and I have lost 85 pounds and can fit into a size 18 pant and 2x shirt. I joined a Zumba class and it rocks! I can do the full hour because when I started I could only do 30 minutes. All great things so why am I depressed? I am in a funk and can't seem to get out of it. I don't sleep well because of the anxiety I feel from all of the stress and depression. Is it normal to feel this way at 3 months out? I started seeing my therapist again yesterday and I got back on my prozac. I just don't like feeling like I don't care about anything, it's really not my personality. Has anyone else experienced this at 3 months out?

37 yo / 5'6 / HW: 325 / CW:215 / GW: 165 /  Surgery 11/25/14 

Surviver426
on 2/23/15 10:44 pm

I don't get my sleeve for two more weeks but down 85 lbs. in 3months is amazing! You should be really proud of yourself! Keep going! 

Stacy_WLS
on 2/23/15 11:05 pm

Depression is a beast.  I'm sorry that you are going through this.  Zumba is great -- keep going -- I know it is easy to just want to stay home and not do anything, but you never regret going!

The therapist and medication is a good thing.  

Also -- it is the middle of winter.  Could you have SAD -- seasonal affect disorder?  My sister bought me a sun lamp alarm clock.  It really really helps.  It blasts me with sunlight (slow progression) in the morning to wake me up.  The winter is a yucky time and without the sun it is much easier to get down.  

I hope you start feeling better soon!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

LeapSecond
on 2/23/15 11:13 pm - AR

I feel it has more to do with stopping your prozac in the first place and less to do with the WLS.  It is a common trend for people with depression to stop taking their meds because they feel better.  Sometimes for a long period of time before they bottom out again.  They often start feeling better when they restart their meds.  Messed up sleep is enough by itself to mess with your head.  Having a therapist is a great tool as well.  I feel your pain.  Congrats on the WL of 28 lbs a month and an hour of Zumba.  You should feel great about that! 

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

MsPayne731
on 2/23/15 11:25 pm - Dexter, MI
VSG on 11/25/14

Thank you Leap, I agree with you my therapist said that I should not have stopped my prozac especially right after having WLS so I hope I can start feeling a bit better soon. I can also tell you that Tuesday 3/3/15 marks 2 years since my husband passed away and just yesterday my uncle passed away in the same very unexpected way (collapsed at home, heart stopped, pronounced dead, no warning signs!) so I am just all kinds of messed up right now.

37 yo / 5'6 / HW: 325 / CW:215 / GW: 165 /  Surgery 11/25/14 

momsy55
on 2/23/15 11:28 pm - ME

Sounds like you're doing what you need to take care of yourself.  With the anniversary of your husband's death looming, and the passing of your uncle, it's certainly understandable that you would be emotionally out of sorts right now.  As others have said, it doesn't sound like the WLS, but a combination of situations and being off meds.  Glad you're recognizing what's up and addressing it.  Let us know how you're doing!  Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/15 12:01 am

I agree, you have done really well but talk to your dr about adding your Prozac back. Imagine how much more awesome you will be feeling. Great wl and get your zumba on girl

ipray
on 2/23/15 11:29 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

I am almost 4 months out and I feel the exact same way! I stopped taking Cymbalta before surgery and have not started back on it yet, but have an appointment next week so I can get back on it.  So many things can be contributing as we had major surgery that knocks our hormones out of whack, etc. (So many changes to our bodies!) And as another poster mentioned, it could be seasonal as well. Just a combination of things.  Keep up the good work, as you are doing fantastic! Hope your meds help! 

Gwen M.
on 2/24/15 7:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've gone through a ton of mental upheaval since surgery.  I think it's pretty normal for many of us.  I'm glad you're seeing a therapist and have started medication again.  I hope that it helps.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MF_Brooklyn
on 2/25/15 2:32 am

I am not as far out as you, just over a month. BUT can I share something my dad reminds me of when I have emotional or depressing days for no reason? 

You are changing your body chemistry rapidly. You are not turning to food as your crutch anymore. It's not there to comfort you or make things better. Additionally, the nutrients in foods are lower since you are eating less. AND (I'm assuming you ate processed foods before hand and are eating less now, i.e. doritos, fast food burgers, etc) and you're not getting those chemicals and believe it or not, you go through withdrawal. 

There's also a possibility of mourning here. I know it sounds crazy but there have been studies on how people actually grieve for their old lives. We don't mean to do it, but it happens. We are happy to see our unhealthy selves go, but miss that person in a sense. 

I totally suggest therapy. Someone who focuses in behavior. 

I think with therapy,an understanding of all that's changing, and even less processed foods could really help. It's also the winter that doesn't help us sometimes. 

Before changing your body's chemistry with prozac, really stop and listen to yourself. It's normal. 

Just my two cents. Feel better and know that we are supporting you! 

Most Active
Recent Topics