how long was your longest stall?

Amy M.
on 2/20/15 12:19 am, edited 2/20/15 12:20 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I'm nearly 7 months out and the scale hasn't moved in over a month. I've increased my exercise and caloric intake to around 1,000 calories per day. I'm still getting in my protein and drinking like a fish. The scale will not budge. I'm also not losing any inches and my clothes are not getting any looser. I'm at a complete standstill with over 40lbs left to go. I'm not even in onederland yet. 

I don't wanna complain about stalls because I'm aware that they happen but I'm starting to get discouraged and feel like I'm never going to reach my goal. So  reaching out on here because it's the one place I can get advice and relate to others that know what  going through. I just want to ease my mind. 

How long was your longest stall? How many months out were you? Did you also stop losing inches?

this question is mostly geared towards people who are farther out and experienced their weight loss slow down as they got closer to goal. 

Ugh. How I miss the honeymoon period!!

mmsmom
on 2/20/15 12:52 am - Woburn, MA

Just looked at my diary and i never really stalled except for the 3 week mark.  I did have some .8 weeks or weeks that were better than others.  I remember going back into my food tracker and going back to eating what i had eaten on good loss weeks.  Also, I'm not a believer that adding calories will spark weight loss, in fact, i believe the opposite.  My nut told me my maintenance point might be 1000-1200 calories a day.  I tried to keep to 600-800 calories plus exercise to lose.  It's not easy, but it's certainly worth it.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Amy M.
on 2/20/15 12:55 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Thank you for your response. I didn't increase my calories because I thought it would spark weight loss but it sort of happened on its own because I am able to eat a little more now and I've stopped drinking protein shakes. Maybe I'll reduce my cals back down and implement shakes into my diet again. Thank you for the advice!

GooseGirl
on 2/20/15 12:58 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I'm not there yet, but we were just talking about this last night at my support meeting. One of the girls mentioned she stalled at around the same time for you. She said she stalled for 3 or 4  months. That was the longest I had heard. 

I know this must be incredibly frustrating; please don't give up! I do believe that if we stick with the plan then eventually our silly bodies will do what we want and let the weight go. Have you been measuring? Maybe it's possible your portions have crept up a little bit and you are getting in more calories then expected? 

If not, i bet your body is just being stubborn. You just have to mentally be more stubborn than your body and outlast the stall.

Amy M.
on 2/20/15 1:02 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

Thank you for your response. While troubling, it's good to know that I'm not the only one. I suppose I could be measuring my food more often than I currently am so I'll start to implement that more and we'll see what happens. Good advice!

cappy11448
on 2/20/15 2:01 am

I think my longest stall was about a week.  It seemed like forever at the time, but looking back, it was so minor. I think our bodies just need some time to rearrange and rebalance the fluids and so the weigh loss stops even though we almost certainly are still burning fat (since we are eating a deficit of calories.)  Try to relax and trust the plan. This weight loss surgery really works. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

ald731
on 2/20/15 2:29 am
VSG on 04/07/14

My longest stall was 2 weeks in January - which also coincided, not coincidentally I think, with when I increased my exercise dramatically. Then last week I lost 7 pounds in 3 days (which I thought was a result from being sick, but then I didn't gain it back so I'm not sure that's really why I lost so fast).  So you may see a dramatic decrease when the scale starts moving again. If you've been doing exactly the same thing for a month, try and change something up for a few days. I know it might sound crazy, but you might see a change if you take a few days off from exercising.  

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

White Dove
on 2/20/15 2:32 am - Warren, OH

You will need to decrease calories and increase exercise to get the scale going down again.  I stopped losing at six months, stayed the same for a year and then lost some at eighteen months, but that was because I cut calories to do that.  I now maintain 136 pounds at 1400 calories a day and cut to 900 if I want to lose a pound a week.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

gmantek
on 2/20/15 2:35 am

I'm going through the same thing, and it is so frustrating and disappointing.  However, after doing some deep thinking and being honest to myself, I realized it's not really a stall, I'm just in involuntary maintenance mode!  I started letting old habits creep in: tasting my kids food when they were finished, taking a quick bite of something off plan, having that tsp of peanut butter here and there, you get the picture.

All those little sneaks caught up to me and I stopped losing.  I stopped logging - I realized I was getting over 1000 calories a day and not always eating legal foods.  I have been the same weight since October.  I got back on track a couple of times, meaning under 900 calories (I always get protein and liquids in but my carbs were out of control).  I fell off the wagon again, really hard.

I'm back on track now and am white knuckling through to goal.  I realized that I was good at maintaining, so if I can just get through to goal weight, then I can start to add back in moderation, and I know that I'm fine at 1200 calories a day.

I realize this isn't why you've stalled, but wanted to share as you may find some nugget here to help you, and also to let you know you are not alone.

I think what I'm learning is that it's scary to be honest with yourself but it's the only thing that will get me back on track!  Good luck - we can do this!

2ndtimesacharm
on 2/20/15 8:10 am

The only time I stalled was at about 4 months! It was for 2 weeks I increased my exercise and went down to 800 calories a day and only had protein shakes and Greek yogurt and in 10 days dropped 4 pounds! Now I'm 6 months out and the weight has absolutely slowed down last week I lost .7 this week I lost 1.2 but I'll take what ever loss I can get

I only have 21 more until I reach my goal I set for myself which is 150 

pre surgery i was 256 

surgery on 08-20-14 233 

current weight 171 

stay at positive it will start again! Sometimes our bodies need to regulate before it can start up again! 

Most Active
Recent Topics