Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/12/15 4:22 am
VSG on 12/06/12

TRICARE doesn't cover the following services:

• Office visits solely for the treatment of obesity
  • Non-surgical procedures for treatment of obesity
  • Nutrition and diet counseling
  • Biliopancreatic bypass (jejunoileal bypass, Scopinaro procedure)
  • Gastric bubble or balloon
  • Sleeve gastrectomy
  • Gastric wrapping/open gastric banding
  • Unlisted procedures

From their website.

tracik3
on 2/12/15 4:43 am

maybe that isn't updated or it depends on what state you live in.   Because I know someone in another state that had the sleeve and Tricare paid for it.

I"m know I'm worrying about things but, I have to think about stuff and process it. LOL  It took me months to finally decide to have the surgery.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/12/15 4:45 am
VSG on 12/06/12

That is why I say to call and ask for your plan specifically would be your best bet. That will help with your worries.

tracik3
on 2/12/15 4:45 am

Also, my husband does not want me to get the RNY.  We have two friends that had it. A husband and wife and the husband has ulcer and the wife is always complaining about something hurting or being sick or something.  It may have nothing to do with the surgery but that's what he thinks. 

Gwen M.
on 2/12/15 5:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The nice thing about being an adult is that you get to make your own choices - not just do what your husband thinks is best, eh?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

tracik3
on 2/12/15 6:32 am

LOL yes, you are right! But, it sure does help if I have his support! And I really don't want the RNY

rumpole6
on 2/12/15 5:14 am

Is it possible to change insurances?

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

tracik3
on 2/12/15 6:31 am

No, we are retired military and we would not be able to get it as cheap as we do.

Meghan704
on 2/12/15 7:57 am, edited 2/12/15 7:58 am
VSG on 06/16/15

I haven't had my surgery yet but I went in wanting VSG or nothing. In addition to my own reasons these were big for me:

I didn't want a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption. 

Wanted to keep my pyloric valve.. Wanted a normal functioning stomach in smaller capacity. Bypassing the pylorus is risky in my opinion and is essentially why RNYers experience dumping syndrome and others like reactive hypoglycemia at muchc higher rates than people with pylorus preserving procedures.

The long term complications with rny were too numerous for my comfort level. Pouch or stoma dilation, strictures, vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, ulcers 

I did not want food or mediation restrictions. I want a somewhat normal life. With rny I didn't want to go thru the possibility of dumping syndrome (even though there is a possibility with VSG, I felt it was almost guaranteed with rny) but the big scare for me was medication restrictions for life. NSAIDS and steroids are a no go with a rny pouch. I realize I might not ever be diagnosed with a condition or disease that requires steroid use, but it is POSSIBLE. I want the best long term results with the least amount of complications. Malabsorption is not anything to play with in my mind. 

If you have anemia, which I do, Rny will make it worse.

im sure there are other medical reasons out there and again this was just my reasoning and you have to do what's best for you. Thankfully my surgeon was totally on board with VSG so I was thrilled. Good luck in your journey. 

Most Active
Recent Topics