Phobia of throwing up... Opinions if VSG is for me?

movis
on 11/9/13 7:51 am
VSG on 07/16/13

I threw up a few times at about month 2. The culprit was eating too fast.  However, it was just like it went down....

Movis   HW: 341,  Surgeon Consult: 333,  SW: 300,  CW: 195

LtWeight
on 11/9/13 7:56 am - MO
VSG on 07/29/13

I had my sleeve surgery July 29, 2013 and I have never thrown up.  The first time I drank coffee (after 2 months) it didn't feel great a couple of hours later but I didn't feel like I would get sick, it just didn't agree.  I don't know how it's been for others but not a problem for me at all.

mickeymantle
on 11/9/13 8:41 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i have never thrown up after almost 4 months, I have known people that ndid , but it was mostly people that had the rny , and a few that had very tight sleeves and eat to much or to fast ,

soda is also a no no

if you are afraid of throwing up it will keep you from eating to much and slow you down 

don't let a little fear stop you from geting healthy 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

slimpickins5280
on 11/9/13 9:05 am - CO

I have never thrown up since surgery and I'm 2 years post VSG.

I think the better news is that we can still throw up. Colic would suck.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Twinsinsept.
on 11/9/13 10:35 am
VSG on 05/06/14
Thanks for helping ease that anxiety. I appreciate you sharing your experiences. I think I could handle throwing up a few times for the great reward of having my health and life back. I have my paperwork filled out and attended my first seminar. Just waiting for hubby's insurance to kick in as my secondary on January 1. My primary has an exclusion.

I've been stalking this site like crazy, getting all of the info I can.

Thanks guys!!!
Somedude
on 11/9/13 5:58 pm
VSG on 10/31/13

I'm a little over a week out and I have not even remotely come close to throwing up. Just follow your docs and NUTs directiosn and you should be fine. Now one thing I have noticed is the feeling of stuff being backed up a bit, but maybe that is cause I had just a little too much. After awhile it all goes down and I'm fine. Saw my doc a couple days ago and he cleared me to have soft mushy foods after 1 week of recovery, so I've been eating tuna salad and chicken salad and stuff for the past couple days and I've been good. Even had some sushi (did not eat the rice) and it was fine.

linzeelee
on 11/9/13 1:18 pm - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Okay, I have to comment here because I have a pretty bad vomit phobia. I don't know about you, but I am terrified to throw up, or see, hear or smell anyone else throw up. I freak out when I find out someone I've been around has the stomach flu. I've actually fought through the stomach flu and food poisoning without throwing up (I haven't done it since I was 13, and I'm 31 now). I am on edge on airplanes and at amusement parks and carnivals. Little kids make me nervous because they tend to throw up at random times. Being around large groups of drunk people, like at concerts, makes me nervous. I think I'd be great in a health care career - if only I could handle vomit like a normal person. You see my point here...

I'm almost 6 months out from surgery and I have not thrown up. The first time I drank liquid in the hospital, I felt a wave a nausea and it freaked me out. But it went away. Now, my two sleeve sisters both threw up post-op, and I did not enjoy hearing it, but I was fine. For the first couple months protein shakes make me a little nauseous, but nothing too bad. Since I started solids, I've had a few times where I've felt nauseous and gotten the "foamies" or "sliming" or whatever you want to call it. The cause of that every single time was eating too quickly. In my case, I got a feeling of the food being "stuck" for 5-10 minutes, and I felt sick and salivated heavily, but then it passed and I was fine. The worst was after eating a piece of sushi; I actually went into the bathroom that time. But getting up and walking around helps, and I was fine after 10 minutes. Those were definitely learning experiences, and I often remind myself to slow down.

So there is hope for us vomit-phobes. I think we are pretty good at suppressing the vomit reflex that comes more easily to others. And yes, the vomit fear does help to keep me compliant. I would absolutely do this all over again, and I would even do it if I had thrown up a few times. It is 100% worth it. Best wishes to you!

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Kecia624
on 11/9/13 3:14 pm

Hello, My 10 year old has this phobia and she will run and hide in the closet if she even hears the sound that precedes someone vomiting.  I decided to have the VSG instead of the lap-band for this reason.  I am only four days out from my VSG and have not experienced mild nausea. I hope this helps.

Kecia

KJS1228
on 11/9/13 8:23 pm

I hate vomiting...hate it.  I did have dry heaves also in the hospital due to the drugs...but they quickly changed them and I was OK.  I'm 6 months out now and haven't thrown up once.  You just have to eat under your sleeve a little but, and don't overdue it and you will be fine :)  Separating eating and drinking (which I do religiously) also helps.

Good luck!

HW:  306   |   CW:  148.8|   GW:  149   Sleeved 5/30/13  Friend me on MFP: KJS1228

abbyluwho
on 11/10/13 3:44 am - kc, MO
VSG on 06/25/13 with

That is the one thing that made me want the sleeve even more!  I detest throwing up so much, I will usually cry at the first sign of being nauseous!  That being said, I have gotten the dry heaves after I ate fish just a tad too quick.  That was right when I was cleared for full foods.  I got extremely uncomfortable after trying beef, but not to the point of throw up.  But again, for me, that actually helps me stay on track. 

I did have a lot of nauseousness after surgery, which led to a 2 day stay, but no matter what surgery you choose, you just can't predict if that will happen to you or not.

HW 276 ( 2008)  SW 228 (6-25-2013) CW 165 (12-23-2013)  Goal: 150

Most Active
Recent Topics