hepatitis

Prettygia
on 7/5/13 3:32 am - MD
Just wanted to know since having surgery has anyone contracted any form of hepatitis. My mother had been doing some research and in some cases some people have contracted it only after vsg.
[url=http://www.weight-loss-center.net/weight-loss-tickers.html][img]http://www.weight-loss-center.net/weight-loss-tickers/uploads/tickers/fd6b1c6abeed7a2.gif[/img][/url]

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/13 3:37 am
VSG on 06/04/12

I would be interested to see that research because I've never heard of hepatitis infection being selective towards a specific type of surgery. 

I'm pretty sure you received misinformation. 

gorditabonita
on 7/5/13 3:43 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

Post-op infections are a risk for all surgeries. I am not aware of any link between hepatitis and VSG.  Good luck!

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/13 8:36 am

I have never read about any connection, but would be interested to read any journal articles or research you might have on the subject.

lucy2e
on 7/5/13 2:05 pm - Laurel, MD

Hi Gia - long time no see!

I haven't heard of anyone contracting hepatitis post VSG - might want to contact Cathy at Dr. A's office, she may have some info.  Hope you are ok!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

MacMadame
on 7/5/13 2:36 pm - Northern, CA

Of course you can get hepatitis after VSG. You can get it before too. The one thing has nothing to do with the other.

Though I do eager await the explanation for how removing part of the stomach causes one's liver to contract a virus. 

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

justpete
on 7/5/13 2:45 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

yes i think you got some bad info or misunderstood what was said.  you dont have higher risk of viral hepatitis with VSG or any other surgery unless you are getting it done in some back alley with contaminated blood.

hepatitis is a medical term for inflammation of the liver, of which there are many causes.  viral, fatty liver, tylenol abuse, immune system problems ... even normal healthy people with 'normal' diets have some degree of inflammation (hence our pre-op diets). Some people have WLS to help with these things, esp fatty liver disease .. maybe that is what you mother read and got confused.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

mickeymantle
on 7/5/13 3:34 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I would think your liver can get inflamed from having the surgeon pushing it around during surgery, i would doubt they surgeon would introduce any germs from the surgical instruments, they are ether new and sterile , or have been washed and then run through an autoclave to sterilize them , so unless the autoclave does not work right ,( there tested all the time ) or the people handling the instruments don't know there job there is little chance of getting hep virus or bacteria that way and the operating rooms in hospitals are sterilized all the time

it is possible to catch any number of germs in the hospital   , there full of sick people , but surgical  patients are usually keep apart from infectious patients

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Recent Topics