Surgery scheduled and a bit of my story

Anne64
on 5/31/13 2:23 am
VSG on 06/19/13

Hi All

I am scheduled for June 19.  Finally.  Because of insurance I was required to do the 6 months supervised thing.  During that time I read a couple of amazing books (Fat Chance and Salt, Sugar, Fat)  and watched a number of very thought provoking documentaries. (Food, Inc., Hungry for Change, and Killer at Large).  Beginning on March 25 I gave up virtually all processed.extracted sugar (no sugar, no honey, no syrups, no juices), all artificial sweeteners (except in the protein drinks I have been trying...muscle milk light and Isopure), and 95% of processed foods. I am confident that I have both a physiological and psychological addiction to processed sugar.   I have created this odd but  helpful "what I choose not to eat list" whi*****ludes pasta, white rice, white flour, and processed meat of any kind.  If I eat a processed product, I must be able to read the ingredients and be able (if I wanted) to recreate it in my kitchen...for example, I will eat Mary's Gone Crackers, but not a triscuit. 

This has been helpful as I prepare and also I have lost 19 pounds without counting calories or restricting my intake in anyway.  Next week I will be starting a 2 week 1,200 calorie diet per my dr's instructions.  I am pretty sure I will be able to do it simply by eliminating or greatly reducing fruit for those two weeks.  I think all of these efforts will allow me to use the sleeve as a "tool" rather than a fix and will serve to help me with my quantity issues.

I would love to hear from anyone that has seriously decreased their sugar/artificial sweetener and/or processed foods.  But, ALL advice is always welcome.  I am so glad I have found this forum. I lurk a lot and the support is great.

Anne

Nikki47
on 5/31/13 11:53 am

Realizing my addiction to sugar was the start of healthy eating for me.  Congrats and continued good luck on your journey!

Most Active
Recent Topics