ice skating, ballroom dancing, and that 1/2 marathon, oh my, need a little help

Linda B.
on 5/18/13 5:17 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Well, with my new smaller body, I am testing some limits with physical activities. Many of you know that I am going to compete in a recreational skating competition in late July. I am doing three programs. The first one is a technical with required elements. That one is coming together. The second one is a freestyle/dramatic program. My coach has me way out of my comfort zone for this one. Lunges and the bunny hop are proving to be a challenge. I worked on my lunges today, I need more inner thigh strength, and flexibility to make it work.

I am also signed up for the Rock & Roll 1/2 marathon in San Diego with my DH. He will run the whole thing, and might even PR. I'll walk most of it, I have found that I am not really fond of running. I will do it, but probably only once.

DH and I have also taken up ballroom dancing. Well, we have a talent show at work, and we are going to dance a Foxtrot. Now, we need to pick a song in a hurry. We have it narrowed down to "The Way You Look Tonight" by Sinatra, "Summer Wind' by Michael Buble, or "Fever" by Michael Buble. We are beginners, so we can't do anything to fast. I have told the coordinator of the show that we are NOT anywhere close to Dancing With the Stars. Anyone want to chime in to help us with a song choice? We need to start nailing down a routine.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Beadle
on 5/18/13 9:46 pm
VSG on 05/28/13 with

I think it should be the way you look tonight since this is a new you and as a tribute to sleevers

Linda B.
on 5/19/13 6:08 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I hadn't thought of that song in that way, but you make a strong case to use that one. Even though the kids we work with won't have a clue who Frank Sinatra is, why not?

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

MacMadame
on 5/19/13 12:04 am, edited 5/19/13 12:04 am - Northern, CA

Oh, I used to figure skate! And I learned in San Diego. Who is your coach? My first competition was an  ISI one, at Alpha level at SDIA, and my coach was Denise Doyle. She's Denise Ortez now. (Well, last I knew... that was about 15 years ago.)

If you love ballroom dancing, I think you should try ice dancing.  Michelle Ford is a great ice dance coach in the SD area. Tell her I said "Hi!" mail

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Linda B.
on 5/19/13 6:03 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Unfortunately, I don't live close enough to SD to find a coach there. I live in the high desert and drive an hour each way to Ontario. My coach is Erika Seals, both she and her husband Larry are coaches. I will competing as a pre-alpha in Anaheim. Larry & Erika thought that even though I can do the required elements for alpha, a few need a lot of work. Larry told me that it is best to go with what you know for your first competition to get my feet wet.

Ice dancing could be fun, but I don't have a partner

There is an adult competition coming to SF in October, I hear it is at a roof top rink. Maybe you and Elena should consider competing???

MacMadame
on 5/19/13 10:38 am - Northern, CA

Oh, I haven't skated in years! That rink is called Yerba Buena. I've competed there but it was a long time ago.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

mapietras
on 5/19/13 2:09 pm - MI

I know this isn't on your list, but I love dancing the Foxtrot to the song Cheek to Cheek. It always feel so romantic. By the way, my husband and I are preparing for a dance showcase doing the West Coast Swing. We are having trouble selecting a song too. I has to be a slow West Coast Swing. The theme for the night is Hollywood movies. Any ideas?

HW:225 SW:199  CW:191  GW:132

Most Active
Recent Topics