Kinda ahead of my nutritionist's schedule

DClady
on 4/22/13 4:18 am

Hi all. I have had a real hard time post op with multiple hospitalizations and ER visits until about 3 weeks out from surgery. After spending about three days in the hospital and having nothing but whatever they're giving me through the IV, I have never felt better. So when I was discharged my surgeon advised I stay on liquids another week (I was supposed to move on to mushies\pureed food) Just to be safe. But I didn't. I moved right into mushies because I felt like if I see one more Jello or crystal light I was going to vomit. I was careful though but I ended up being more than ok. Mushies were giving me energy and I was able to be more active around the house and at work. I am now 6 weeks out and I have kinda sorta went into solids, but I'm not supposed to for another two weeks. But I started munching on an apple and chewing the heck out of it and I feel fine. Yesterday I had three small cubes of chicken and I also felt fine. Question is do we really have to follow the nutritionist's plan? I am careful with calorie intake, but my nutritionists said the guidelines were placed just to make sure nothing gets stuck or it's too early to move on. But I think everyone's recovery is different and if one can tolerate it, they should do (safely) what works for them. Thoughts? 

datachick
on 4/22/13 4:22 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I was safe like you are, chewing a lot and trying tiny bits of things at a time. Sounds fine to me.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Bella_Fein
on 4/22/13 4:36 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

Those guidelines are usually put in place for your safety, so you can heal properly. I would not be proceeding without your doctors permission. Maybe call your doctor and ask him if it's okay since you feel so good.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Jackie T.
on 4/22/13 4:40 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

No one on here should ever tell you to not follow your doctor's advice.  We are not medical personnel on your case.  Almost every doctor's office has its own plan to follow.

This is a decision that you will have to make for yourself as you are the one that has to live with your decision. 

You will have to decide when to move up on each stage but I am not sure that eating an apple is a good choice.  Right now you should be focused on protein and fluids and/or what is on their approved list of foods.  While you CAN eat other things, the question is should you be?  If you are going to skip levels, you should still be reviewing their plan and eating what is on their plan especially given the problems you have listed above.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Deckeriv
on 4/22/13 4:57 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

It's not your nutritionist's schedule. It's the schedule your doctor recommends. You know, that guy you just paid thousands of dollars to and put your life in his hands? That same guy that went to school for 18 years to learn what's best for you and really doesn't want you to be his first mortality.

Glad you haven't hurt yourself YET but you should question your commitment to this process. You can't see what you are doing to your stomach and won't know until it's too late.

I wish you all the best and I hope it all works out okay for you.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

swizzlequeen
on 4/22/13 5:11 am

Hello DClady!

I second everything that has been said here.

But, I also think that your question is a very wise and reasonable thing to ask the dietician.

My dietician advanced me sooner than usual to the next level -- well-cooked vegetables -- because I seemed to be tolerating everything in the current level so well. I am so glad I went to see her!

bee10312
on 4/22/13 5:18 am - Panama, Panama

I am around 3 weeks post-op and the doctor already gave the ok to eat solid food and veggies.  I feel better everyday like you said everyone heals differently and at there own speed if you feel fine then you shouldnt have a problem just dont abuse.

The Lord will guide my every step!

SophieNJ
on 4/22/13 5:56 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

While I can see how the outside of my tummy is healing (lap stitches), I have no idea at all what it looks like on the inside where my stomach was actually cut/stapled/sewed.  I trust that my doc does, and understands it a lot more than I do...and if he says stay on liquids, I sure am going to listen to him. 

I'm sorry you had a hard time with being in hospital / ER several times.  Seems to me it really would be in your best interest to follow your docs orders.  Plus, if you can't/won't do it now, are you sure you will be able to follow the nutritional regime for the rest of your life?  Patience, DC Lady, patience!

wishing you the best, I hope you heal well and quickly,

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

DClady
on 4/22/13 6:37 am

Thanks for the input everyone. I should mention that I did tell my surgeon when I saw him a week after I was discharged that I went ahead and started mushies. He asked if I experienced any pain and I said no, so he told me to go ahead and stay on mushies. I think eating a whole pizza or a bucket of ice cream is a BAD MOVE and might ruin our tiny stomachs. But I think following through with our NUT\Surgeon's plan... but starting it a few weeks ahead is ok as long as we don't experience pain or eat like we used to. That's my point essentially. 

Most Active
Recent Topics