Can't make my mind up....

A. Robinson
on 4/9/13 1:05 am - Columbia, TN
VSG on 04/29/13

Tomorrow will be my last step before my paper work can be turned into insurance. When I met with my surgeon I was pretty sure I wanted the gastric bypass. The more and more I think about it, the sleeve sounds better. My sister had gastric bypass 10 yrs ago with no complications. So I just felt I would have the same procedure. My biggest fear is my bowels becoming twisted. Who wants to worry about that forever??? I just want to make the right choice. I weigh 243 lbs.  Any one else had this same problem??

vogue
on 4/9/13 1:15 am
VSG on 08/30/12

I always wanted the sleeve...  when I first considered WLS about 7 or 8 yrs ago, it was going to be the sleeve or nothing at all.... my insurance considered it experimental then and didnt pay for it....   if they didnt pay for it now, I would not  have gotten any WLS at all....

Jackie T.
on 4/9/13 1:16 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I think most people go through a process of wanting to make the right decision and wondering what surgery to actually do.  I know I did.  You should really discuss with your doctor and also what your insurance will allow unless your are self pay.  I thought I was going to get the band, I did not bypass because of rerouting everything.  When I went to my first informational meeting is when I decided the sleeve was the only way for me.

Just remember whatever you choose, the surgery is tool and not a magic bullet.  You have to work your program and stay diligent.  You have to change the habits that got you where you are today.  If anyone fails after having WLS, in my opinion only, it is not the surgery that failed but the person.

Good luck on your decision!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

zra
on 4/9/13 1:30 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

I changed my mind after having been approved for the RNY and submitted a change to the sleeve. Apply for the one you think you want, but that doesn't mean you have to stop thinking about it. Good luck!

HW: 363  SW: 340  

acbbrown
on 4/9/13 1:33 am - Granada Hills, CA

I just posted a response to the thread above yours....but most people here (if not all) decided the sleeve sounded better - bowel obstructions are just one thing to worry about - ulcers, no nsaids, dumping, RH, blind stomach, vit deficiencies...all for a very short period of malabsorption. Naaaa.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

mokee
on 4/9/13 2:04 am - OH

A year ago I went to a weight loss seminar thinking I was looking into the RNY.   They were explaining the RNY, the band, medifast and then out of the blue the sleeve.   The first time I ever heard of it.   It really peaked my interest.  I started researching it and went to 3 more seminars by different surgeons until I found one that had done a few hundred of the sleeve.   I went with him and I had surgery Nov 28,2012 .   I am down 62 lbs, lower than I have been in 40 years.

MsBatt
on 4/9/13 2:53 am

The long-term results for the Sleeve and the RNY are about the same---but the Sleeve leaves you with a fully-functional stomach and no malabsorption. Sounds like a no-brainer to me! (*grin*)

But be aware---twisted bowels can happen to ANYONE, whether they've had WLS or not. And having any sort of abdominal surgery does increase your chances of it happening.

dragon1
on 4/9/13 5:22 am - NY

One of my friends had RNY, and had a good outcome, so I went online to do some research, thinking that I would do the same.  The more I read about potential side effects - life-long side effects, the more I realized I just wasn't comfortable doing it - I felt like for me, being fat was a better choice than that procedure.

But, since I was already in research mode, I thought I would check out band and other options; that's when I discovered the sleeve.  After reading extensively, and fully understanding the potential complications and risks, I was much more comfortable. 

For me, it's important that I have not re-routed my innards, that I can still take NSAIDS (not that I need to, but I can), that I can digest almost all of my nutrients from food (and I like the B-12 tabs :). 

I am 23 months out, and down to 140 lbs, which is a comfortable place for me.  I don't come on so much, because my life is busy and full, and I have been able to move past the place where I spend a lot of time thinking about my weight (which is a benefit I didn't even realize I would get, but is one of my favorites).   I just went to have my physical yesterday, and my doctor didn't give me "the look" once. 

Most Active