I bought a food scale yesterday!

PhillyGator
on 3/17/13 7:41 am

And it's become my best friend!

It's really been helpful with measuring out lunch meat for meals this week. It also made me realize how much things really do weigh. So crazy to have this new perspective now.

I'm really excited for when I'm past the pureed and soft foods and start using it to measure out ground meet and such to freeze. It's kind of difficult to buy things for my single stuff and not have it go bad too soon.

I'm actually kind of enjoying this process. I've come up with some creative things to doctor-up my protein that I bought and am not enjoying as much anymore.

Just wanted to share my nerdy news.

Hope everyone has/had a great St. Patrick's Day!

http://weightnolongerajourney.blogspot.com/

SophieNJ
on 3/17/13 9:27 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Don't keep us in suspense Philly!! What kind was it??  LOL I could use a new one!  where did you get it?  details, missy, I want details :)

PhillyGator
on 3/17/13 9:59 am

haha. You're too funny.

I bought it, well, my Mom bought it, at Bed Bath & Beyond. It is $24.99 I think. But they always have those $5 or 20% off coupons and we used one of those. I think the brand is the The Sharper Image? It does grams and ounces and has a tare feature, which I found is the most import. About the size of a book.

JerseyGirl_1213
on 3/17/13 9:42 am

What are you doing to doctor up your protein?  I sure could use some new ideas!  I gag on my protein shakes anymore! lol

PhillyGator
on 3/17/13 10:03 am

I've been putting it in 1/2 cup of greek, nonfat, plain yogurt.

Then, since mine is supposed to be either chocolate or chocolate peanut butter, I've been adding a tbsp of PB2. And more recently, 1.5 tsp of cocoa powder and a little stevia. Using sugar free pudding mix works as well, but the PB2 and the Cocoa Powder actually have some protein in it. Also add about a tsp of milk to make it a bit thinner and easier to mix.

I've been drinking the Pure Protein Chocolate. It tastes like chocolate milk to me. But I need to use up this powder I'm not so fond of and found this is the best way for me to do it.

Hope you like it! I love peanut butter and this has been great. My little dessert at night!

JerseyGirl_1213
on 3/17/13 11:13 pm

Thanks for the ideas!

SophieNJ
on 3/18/13 12:21 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

thanks Philly...I just checked the BBB website...there are sssooo many food scales!! omg.....I will take a drive over to check out the Sharper Image one.

Jersey Girl - I am (or was) a coffee fiend....I haven't tried coffee since surgery, but will add in a teaspoon of instant decaf to my protein shake.....also, with the vanilla, if you like pistachio, add 1 tablespoon of sugar free pudding....oh yummy!!  Eggface has a ton of wonderful variations on her website.

Jessica285
on 3/18/13 2:27 am - UT

Congratulations! It is amazing when you use a food scale... you start to visually recognize just how much (or how little, lol!) a few ounces of something really is.  I still use small plates when I am eating at home.  The inside part of a 'side' plate is about my max of 4-6 ounces.  The scale helped me tremendously in learning how much two ounces of anything really looked like and now I can usually eyeball it.  Enjoy your new tool!!  :)

Highest: 297 lbs/Lowest 127 lbs/Maintaining at 140-145 lbs

RNY Nov 2009/Perforated Ulcers Jan 2010/Revised to modified VSG Dec 2011      

Christine M.
on 3/18/13 2:37 am
VSG on 04/10/13

I got a really cool food scale on groupon the other day for $24.99, originally $49.99.  Its digital and looks kind of like an ipad and came in lots of really funky colors!

Most Active
Recent Topics