still constipation after 17 months

ldscott
on 12/6/12 4:49 am - TX

i had VSG surgery in July 2011 and havent had regular BMs since. I've told my DR. numerous times and he says, "you intestines were not tchanged so it has to be your diet."

i have had a HIDA scan and my gall bladder is not functioning. could this be causing the constipation?

acbbrown
on 12/6/12 5:31 am - Granada Hills, CA

Ive never heard of a connection betwen gall bladder and constipation, but I am almost 18 mo out and still suffer from constipation. It was a damn plague that hit me immediately after surgery - never had any real problems before surgery. 

To some extent, it could be diet related. I know during the weeks/months where my eating has been poor and I ate more carbs/fat than normal, I tend to be a little more regular. I have tried to eat a high fiber diet and tried fiber supplements but those never did anything for me. I am now on a RX laxative called lactulose which seems to work for me. I cant even think about the possibiity of being constipated until the end of time...I sure hope this changes at some point. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

mimij
on 12/6/12 6:29 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I am not sure what you have tried, but I started taking Miralax in my crystal light first thing in the morning followed by more water and then of course all the water throughout the day. 4 days after starting that, I began having daily bm's,  And sometimes, twice a day, Yay!!! Amazing what can make us happy, especially at age 52.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/6/12 7:03 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Ya, we can be a bit pitiful, eh? I call it joy in the biffy. Lol

I eat a high fibre diet (20-30g a day) and still have occasional days (today comes to mind) when I need a little help. A yummy coffee with Miralax stirred in works for me.

I find that the things that slow my innards are not getting enough fibre, not getting enough fluids and lack of activity. Between flying out to Victoria last weekend to play 2 solid days of Bridge with my 92 yo MIL and my BIL, then coming down with a miserable cold I feel like I've barely moved for the past week - but I'm getting lots of knitting done.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

econtiff
on 12/6/12 9:05 am - FL
VSG on 04/24/12

Most adults are lactose intolerant. After the age of 19 we lose the enzyme lactase which breaks down the lactose in dairy products. Frequently causes constipation. I know I'm lactose intolerant but I love cheese and creamer so I have a ****tail I mix up in the mornings.

32oz water, some Mio, 3 tsp clear fiber dissolvey stuff (wal mart brand), 1 capful of Miralax (or wal mart brand)

Also try to increase your water intake. You have to keep plenty of fluid moving through your intestines.

ldscott
on 12/6/12 10:45 pm - TX

this SITE is the BOMB! Just when you think you're the only one with the problem... thanks SO much. I'm taking heed and will begin the Miralax regimen TODAY! i had been drinking Senna tea EVERYDAY. I just really didnt want to become dependent on laxatives, but at this point it seems inevitable.

I have also in the past week increased my fluids.

THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOO MUCH!

Most Active
Recent Topics