I Ate Some Food!

RedStar98
on 10/15/12 11:14 am - Johnston, RI
VSG on 10/02/12
I agree on this one, everyone is an adult and will make their own decisions. It's just a discussion.
frisco
on 10/15/12 11:22 am

Cool..... Your right, opinions and discussion.......

Liquids for 4 weeks...... sure it's tough.....but that's what you signed up for......

Let's discuss being on TPN for weeks or months.......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

lucy2e
on 10/15/12 11:57 am - Laurel, MD
Thanks for being the first to put some logic in this thread.

People - I know the liquid phase is tough - but you have a newly cut and stapled stomach.  You have a long line of staples that needs to heal.  Please give it a chance to hel by following your doctors plan.  For me the risk is too great - I did not want to risk any leaks in my new sleeve.  

I don't want to lecture - but I also don't want to see you all back in the hospital with leaks! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Feystorm
on 10/15/12 11:37 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 At this point it is not a matter of "cheating" or "guilt".  It is a matter of danger.  You are on a progressive diet for a reason - your SAFETY!  
Everyone is an adult and entitled to their own choices.  But if your surgeon was trusted enough to cut you open and remove 80-85% or more of your stomach organ, why would you NOT listen to them when it comes to your diet progression?!
You are posting validation to others who seem to be ready to jump on your bandwagon and progress without the consultation of their surgeon.  This is very dangerous behavior for both you and them.  You aren't risking blowing a diet here - you are risking blowing a staple line, leaking into your chest cavity, permanent damage and yes, even death.  While you may wish to risk your own health and future and call it cheating - it is irresponsible for you to encourage others.  

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

Keith L.
on 10/15/12 11:57 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
 I am very unclear where you are getting encouragement from. I made a statement about something I did. I didn't say "Hey kids you should try this..." This is no different than saying I forgot to take my vitamins today. I didn't risk blowing a staple line. I took a small bite of watermelon and chewed the crap out of it. You two need to get a grip.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Sutterbos
on 10/15/12 1:21 pm
VSG on 06/21/12
You also mention eating quinoa - seriously that is SO dangerous.  Quinoa is like a grain with edible seeds.  Seeds?  At 17 days out?  I don't care how well you chew it, you're risking damaging your new stomach.  

I think people are saying you are encouraging others because you are making comments like "No Guilt!" and "Pulled pork is on my list for next week."  Pork wasn't on my approved eating list until 6 weeks out.  You're telling someone - hey it's okay you did something dangerous and I'm going to do the same next week!  

Getting a leak can put you in the hospital for MONTHS with a tube down your nose into your stomach to keep it drained, and a central line to give you IV nutrition.  It's just not worth it.

Tamaraz
on 10/16/12 1:05 am - PA
It is important to remember that many, if not most, of "doctor's orders" and "doctor's plans" are more  art than science. There is variation from one physician to another in the way they practice medicine. Some of the practices I interveiwed before surgery required 2 weeks of clear liquids after surgery, others said two days. It's not only in bariatrics that there are big differences in medical care. The Institute of Medicine has a GOAL of 90% of medical care being based on scientific research by the year 2020. (Current estimate is that we are at about 50%). One of the reasons bariatric surgery has less research to guide practice, according to an article by a bariatric surgeon, is that there is a lot of discrimination agasint fat people.

Sorry, I digress. My point is to listen carefully to your bariatric team, but also listen to your body and what you know about yourself. There are differences in the way physicians practice because physicians are people. Does anyone remember the news 35 years ago that wmone in New England had a 50% higher risk for hysterectomy than women anywhere else? It had nothing to do with the health status of women in New England, and everything to do with that fact that physicians in New England practiced the same way because they went to the same schools and residencies. What sounds like a good idea sometimes turns out to be anything but. Thirty years ago, people who had heart attacks were "ordered" to bedrest to give their hearts adequate rest. Turned out that the heart works harder when a patient is on bedrest than when the patient is allowed out of bed. Oops. Patients also are very different in the way they respond to medical care, and the way they heal. Normal, healthy individuals who have had surgery can vary by days to weeks in the speed at which their incisions heal. Some people will take more than 2 weeks for the staple line in VSG to heal, some will take 12 dyas, and some will need 3 weeks.

Work with your bariatric team, but don't forget that you are an essential member of that team!
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/16/12 1:10 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Like like like!!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

RedStar98
on 10/15/12 12:43 pm - Johnston, RI
VSG on 10/02/12
No one encouraged anyone...we are adults here, making our own choices, stop lecturing people. Everyones journey is different, why lecture someone who has not followed in your own choices.... Isn't there enough judging and lecturing outside of here?
Without being rude to anyone; I'm making my own choices, thank you.
frisco
on 10/15/12 1:03 pm

Yours sounds more like a lecture......

- There not my choices...... their your Doctors Orders......

- And you made the choice to eat pulled pork at less than two weeks out?

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics