I miss the bubbles!

Margaret.hollar
on 10/7/12 5:11 am - NC
I must sound crazy but when I was preparing for my VSG, I was more concerned about not being able to drink diet Pepsi anymore than eating a tenth of the amount I could. Ten days out and I feel I don't miss the caffeine (I hate tea and coffee) but now beginning to crave the carbonation...the bite, if you will. Anyone else newly sleeved or a vet willing to share experiences or mistakes, etc.?
Sarah W.
on 10/7/12 5:20 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
I do too. I miss sprite zero diet cherry 7up and diet dr pepper. At SAMs before surgery my husband said hed buy me the giant syrups so I could make pop with still water instead of carbonated. I just laughed at the time. But I wonder if I get farther out if I could make my own using the personal soda stream machine and fla****er ie no co2.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

PoohHag
on 10/7/12 5:24 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 I miss the bubbles too and that burn you get with the first swallow of diet Coke.  I'm almost 4 months out, but I gave up sodas 6 months ago.  

You'll be tempted to try sodas again after your stomach completely heals.  They don't feel as good, nor do they taste as good.  The pressure in your sleeve is very uncomfortable.  For me, the artificial sweeteners don't taste as good either.  I gave up artificial sweeteners completely when I gave up sodas (used stevia protein shakes).  Decided they were doing me no favors.

I had a small diet Coke about a month ago when I had bronchitis.  Some people do go back to sodas after awhile, but it's not advisable for a long time.  Most people don't go back because they hurt. 

Julie L.
on 10/7/12 5:28 am, edited 10/7/12 5:28 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12
I'm having the surgery in 3 weeks and sitting here sipping my Diet Coke... this is going to be harder to quit than smoking was!   I'll manage though.    I don't think flat Coke would be a good substitute for me,  I crave the bubbles and the cola flavor together,   I think flat Coke is disgusting though.

wasabilover
on 10/7/12 6:05 am - TX
It has been 30+ years since I went 2 weeks without a diet coke. I was sleeved on the 24th and am having difficulty getting my fluids in, particularly after I returned to work. I'm not dreaming if food, but I sure am dreaming if diet coke!
Krissy_67
on 10/7/12 6:23 am
VSG on 04/17/12
That was my biggest concern but with diet coke and beer. I've tried it a couple of times and it downright hurts. I no longer even crave it. I am now hooked on crystal light and unsweetened tea.
lisa2job
on 10/7/12 7:04 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
I think many of us miss the diet coke's , dr pepper's ,  diet 7 ups....   I really really miss them too but I will trade it any day for not being fat ,  I might also try to find some cola flavored drops or something to flavor water with.  I jsut really like the taste of diet coke or even dr pepper

hollirrose
on 10/7/12 7:36 am
VSG on 04/21/12
I have a fountain diet coke about once a week. It hasnt slowed down my weight loss, set off any triggers, or harmed me in any way. My doctor and many others do not believe it will expand the size of your sleeve. Personally, I believe that is a total myth without any medical proof. Could I live without the diet coke... Sure, but I dont. Some on here are very anti pop drinking and some drink diet pop on a regular basis. Im not suggesting anyone go slurp down some pop...but just know that some of us do.
ERnurseMN
on 10/7/12 8:35 am - MN
I was an diet coke with lime addict before my VSG.  My last drink of it was the day before my surgery.  I do miss the carbonation but not the diet coke.  I have had some diet sprite and I will drink some carbonated green tea - I let it sit for a long time and let it flatten out but not all the way.  This takes care of my craving and I am satified.  I haven't had an issue with it.  But I will never start out a habit again.

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9  
(deactivated member)
on 10/7/12 9:28 am - Lake Charles, LA
VSG on 06/05/12
I feel ya! I'm 4 months out and I miss "the bubbles" too!!!! Used to be an avid, daily, diet coke drinker. But, I can't bring myself to do anything I'm "not supposed to do". Even though I know someone who, the DAY OF SURGERY, smoked a cigarette and drank a diet coke. Little story.....I'm always looking for different zero or very low carb drinks, other than plain water. Last week, I bought a couple of these zero carb "ice" drinks from krogers. I opened one and took a big swig....and it BURNED the whole way down!!! It was carbonated and nowhere on the bottle did it say so!!! I won't be doing that again.
But, to each his/her own! I feel ya though!
Most Active
Recent Topics