E is for emotions

hmtaylor76
on 10/7/12 5:29 am
VSG on 06/25/12
YOu are amazing!! Thank you for always encouraging us newbies.

Heather    

Sutterbos
on 10/7/12 6:05 am
VSG on 06/21/12
Elina,

Thank you!  This is so well articulated and provides excellent advice on coping with unpleasant emotions in new ways.

The only thing I would add (for people who might read this and think "that sounds like me"), if sadness persists for a long period of time (weeks or more) and you start to feel hopeless or helpless, this might be depression.  Changing thought patterns is a big part of healing from depression, but please don't tackle it alone.  Counseling, taking to friends, and maybe even medication might be needed.  As Elina said, don't be afraid of your emotions - it is okay to experience depression.  But you can get help, and you CAN feel better!!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/12 6:43 am
That is such an important point.  People suffering from depression often fail to seek help because they are too embarrassed, or the feelings of hopelessness are too strong.  Often, this lead to people isolating themselves.  That is really so sad, because there are fantastic ways to tread depression that are very effective and do not take forever to implement.  If you are feeling depressed, seek qualified counseling with someone who is an expert with cognitive behavioral therapy.  I would also advice you to speak to a psychiatrist to get appropriate medication.  Together, the two approaches are extremely effective and can change your life.
71dart
on 10/7/12 6:23 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
I really needed to read that at this time. Thank you.

Magirk-Magee
on 10/7/12 6:47 am
Thank you! I needed to read this at this time.
sheranfour
on 10/7/12 7:01 am
Hi Elina!
I am new here...but I learn quick. I've learned to look for your posts because they alway**** the mark!
A month ago when I found out I couldn't have the RNY due to a new medical thing  and was told I was in sleeve territory, I came here to get info. The post you replied to me I used to help me thru! You said I was "lucky". Well Since the surgery...I definitely feel that way and I'm really glad when I find one of your posts!!!
Thanks for being an important part of this journey!!!!
Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
(deactivated member)
on 10/7/12 7:38 am
You made me tear up.  Now I am the lucky one, lucky to have people like you in my corner.  This journey is so much easier when we stand lean on each other.  Hugs right back at you.
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/7/12 7:51 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I am feeding fear right now, crying at anything and everything and thinking that I will never forgive myself for getting to the point where I have to do this...I am looking forward to F....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jarisaunt
on 10/7/12 8:07 am, edited 10/7/12 8:10 am - CA
VSG on 08/21/12
Thanks for this post. As someone who struggles with emotional eating every day, it is edifying to hear your suggestions for dealing with this problem.

Loneliness is a big negative emotion I experience a lot. One technique I've adopted to deal with it is to take up needlework and reading to help distract me when this is most a problem (usually at night). I also practice deep breathing.

Recognizing that acting out with food was what was happening took a long time to come to terms with, not understanding that comforting with food when unhappy is an unhealthy act, which is how I got to nearly 300 pounds.

Now that I am finally on track to a healthier lifestyle, dealing with emotional eating is going to be key to changing my relationship with food so that I will not experience the regain some people have with WLS.

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

ERnurseMN
on 10/7/12 8:28 am - MN
Love it Elina!  BTW you pix were BEAUTIFUL!

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9