A is for Attitude

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 11:29 am
Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.--Thomas Jefferson

Everything can be taken from a man or a woman but one thing: the last of human freedoms to choose one's attitude in any given set of cir****tances, to choose one's own way. --Victor E. Frankl

I have a page in my journal that is saved for "emergency" situations.  This is what I turn to when I feel I need a little extra zing to get me through a hard day.  These two quotes, taken together, have saved my butt more times than I can tell you.  The idea that my attitude determines my achievement along with the idea that I have the power in any situation to determine my attitude, puts the power where it belongs, right back into my hands.  These quotes help me shift the locus of control back into me when I would rather blame the world, the French, my mother, my husband, a stressful life, or the even God.  Yes, stuff happens, and not all of it is in my control, but my attitude always is my decision and that decision will have the ultimate effect on my outcome.  This is a truth I need to learn and relearn many times. 

I think this journey is all about learning new behaviors, thought processes, and coping strategies.  One of the greatest gifts this journey has given me is the reminder that I am only a victim of cir****tances if I choose to be; I am free to try something new, to make another choice, to tear out the page and start over.  I have learned that even though I can't influence the day to day numbers on a scale, I can influence the overall trend.  With a good attitude, I can change the shape and health of my body, I can change my thought patterns, I can change my feelings, I can even change my point of view.  I can shape reality and I can co-create reality.  When I really get the truth of this statement, it almost makes me feel a bit dizzy with power.  It is an awesome truth.

AllaP
on 10/1/12 11:40 am - Vaughan, Canada
 We have to read this post every morning.

Alla.

time4me2now
on 10/1/12 12:06 pm
VSG on 05/24/12
Amen.

HW 266  SW 243  CW 161  

Wildcat-NYC
on 10/1/12 12:24 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
My dad always said this to me when I was younger and upset about something..."the only thing you can control is you."  I was always annoyed that he wasn't having a pity party with me, but now I realize he was doing me favor.  I can't control what people think of me or my decisions, I can't control the scale, I can't control anything expect me - my reaction, my attitude, my action, etc.

Thanks for the super reminder!!!!

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
doctorleelee
on 10/1/12 12:42 pm - Oakland, CA
VSG on 09/13/12

The Dalai Lama said: Do not the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.

christinahelena
on 10/1/12 1:21 pm - CA
 Ahh, now this also is one I need to memorize, and to sometimes chant ! 
christinahelena
on 10/1/12 1:18 pm, edited 10/1/12 1:18 pm - CA
Big Amen to this, and thanks Elina for the wonderful reflective post. It is so true, and it is so powerful, to let go of all we cannot control and work on our perspective. I Too love quotes for inspiration, and another one that goes along with this is " The real voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes" Marcel Proust.   Again, change your attitude nd you will change th landscape. Thank you for reminding me , as I get sleeved on Thursday, that I can choose to be afraid or excited. I am trying to choose excited! Hugs!
MB_MB
on 10/1/12 3:12 pm
I will be thinking of you on Friday!  Sending good thoughts and prayers your way!!! MB
jubjub
on 10/1/12 2:01 pm, edited 10/1/12 2:02 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
Great stuff and so true.

I read your post the other day on intentional eating and thought to myself "this is someone who has read Frankl."  

I was thinking of this Frankl quote specifically:

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. "

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 2:17 pm
The quote you chose is the best humanistic response to behaviorism.  I love the cognitive behavioral approach and find it so very powerful with eating issues.  The techniques used are fantastic at getting what you want out of life, but Frankl reminds me to choose my path wisely.  His writings provide the wisdom to go with the mechanics of change.