A little TMI but need advice

nieba
on 8/27/12 8:28 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with
I have a natural case of constipation and I am also only 2 week tomorrow from surgery. The doc already had me stop all vitamins, but I could really use some fiber right now. In your opinion, do you think it is ok to take some fiber pills or even some powder in water or my protein shakes? I have to do something soon.

All advice is greatly appreciated!

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

kaitlyn1994
on 8/27/12 8:30 am - Stapleton, GA
I am having the same problem right now too! I have been adding a teaspoon of fiber to my morning shake and taking miralax and it seems to be working now!! I know what you mean because it sure isnt any fun!! Good Luck!!!
Katie Peters        
vogue
on 8/27/12 8:33 am
VSG on 08/30/12
Im still pre-op but I was told that a probiotic may help... Ive purchased a chewable one to use post-op...From what Ive read its good for all WLS patients to take one regardless
morgans
on 8/27/12 8:35 am
VSG on 06/18/12
Milk of Magnesia is what got me through the first run of constipation. I took a dose right before bed and got a "fresh start" as it were, in the morning.

MoM is what my surgeon recommended to me from the get-go.

INgirl
on 8/27/12 8:39 am
A full dose of Miralax a day, usually works w/i three days.. then cut it back to 1/2 dose a day or so.. I used Benefiber too, but until you start going- just use the Miralax, no addl fiber. Fiber can be constipating too..

Miralax is gentle, and it only pulls water into the stool- no stimulants (so no cramping, no urgent runs to the b-room.) 

Good luck! Eventually I figured out the calcium was doing it to me, so I switched to calcium with a good amount of Mg oxide in it too- that allowed me to stay very regular.

Sara R.
on 8/27/12 8:55 am
My nutritionist sai no on the fiber early on. they suggest milk of magnesia early on and then  miralax as you pouch starts to heal more. good luck

louisamay
on 8/27/12 9:05 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Miralax and benfiber didn't help me a bit but taking colace stool softener usually does.  I take 4 a day, and drink lots of water.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Most Active
Recent Topics