Protein shakes after a hiatus make you icky?

Could_It_Be
on 8/15/12 1:26 pm
 I've been trying to get my protein from food the past week or so and I just can't eat enough to do it so I'm back on the shakes.

Strange thing, and I've noticed this in the past as well, when I'm off the shakes for a bit then get back on, they really kill my stomach.

I'm just sipping on a 1 scooper (before I was drinking a 1.5 scoop in milk in about 15 minutes) and have been for a while and my tiny tum is NOT PLEASED.

Do you think it has to do with dense protein? 

thoughts?

Is sleevie just revolting?

VSG on 6/22/11
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 3:04 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
What kind of milk are you using?  You may have developed lactose intolerance.

The shakes are NOT dense protein.  Dense protein is food items such sirloin steak and chicken breast. 

I would suggest you try making water-based shakes.  Or use an RTD like Isopure.

Also, you might want to consult with your nut.  Have you been keeping a intake log?  It would be helpful to have at least two weeks worth of entries ready for that consult so the nut can evaluate it and provide some helpful advice.
Ms Shell
on 8/15/12 3:34 pm - Hawthorne, CA
Yeah ditto what the previous poster wrote...it could be the milk and not the protein.  

I have never been able to tolerate milk since surgery =(  I use Almond Milk for my shakes.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 6:19 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I've been forewarned that I will be at least temporarily lactose intolerate following my revision next week.  I've purchased almond milk (plain, vanilla and chocolate) on the basis of several folks' direct and indirect recommendations, including yours. 
Ms Shell
on 8/15/12 8:57 pm - Hawthorne, CA
I'm guessing in MY case I was probably lactose intolerant before surgery because I remain that way...I've gotten used to Almond milk, but sometimes I just have to have a nice cold cup of milk milk...I pay for it, but it's good going down...

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Could_It_Be
on 8/15/12 6:47 pm
 I'm definitley lactose intolerant. I use lactose free milk or almond milk. 

I guess what I meant by "protein dense" was that it has much more protein than anything else per volume I can put in my sleeve.

I dunno, it's strange.

VSG on 6/22/11
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 6:57 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I think you might benefit by consulting with your nut.  Sounds like you might be having a general problem getting adequate protein in.  Are you logging your intake? 

I wonder if it would help if you changed the consistency by either making your shakes thinner so they slide down your throat into your digestive system or if you added shaved ice and made slushies? 

Shakes in general are a surprisingly complex composition...
Could_It_Be
on 8/16/12 9:23 am
 Yes, I log everything in MFP :)

VSG on 6/22/11
diane S.
on 8/15/12 8:50 pm
my sleeved hubby does best with unsweetened coconut milk in his shakes. but you may still be full from earlier dense protein when you do your shakes. try smaller more frequent meals and talk to the dietician. diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Could_It_Be
on 8/16/12 9:22 am
 Thanks everyone, have a call in to the nut.

VSG on 6/22/11
Most Active