Silly question- taking your multi and iron at the same time?

Could_It_Be
on 6/1/12 5:14 am
 So I take (well, I TRY!) the following vitamins:

-2 centrum chewables (has both iron and calcium carbonate in it)
-2 500 calcium citrate
- iron
- B12

and also  synthroid (for hypothyroidism)  

I know I can't take the iron and calcium together but I have a HARD time with taking all this throughout the day- that's basically 7 times I have to remember.

I'm wondering if I can take one of my multis with an iron BECAUSE I'm not expecting to be absorbing any calcium from that pill. 

Or is it a no no since the iron will be bound to that calcium regardless??

I'm not sure I'm making sense.

MY issue is that I'm just not getting these vites in (I only take one at a time) because between waiting 4 hours from the synthroid, then two hours from each multi and then then 2 calciums, then the iron; well, the day is over!!!

Any advice to get on a better schedule??

VSG on 6/22/11
emelar
on 6/1/12 5:18 am - TX
Iron and calcium enter the system on the same receptors, and if you take them at the same time, they'll be fighting for space.  Calcium usually wins.  Iron pretty much has to be taken on its own - not too close to meals, not close to caffeine, not close to anything that contains calcium.  And most of them say not to take them and then go to bed right away, although I'm not sure why.  Maybe it'll upset your stomach?

Anyway, I take iron and have a small window of opportunity where all the planets align and I can take it.  Find your window!
Mom78
on 6/1/12 5:24 am
VSG on 02/10/12
I take both multis together in the morning and the b12, my nut and surgeon said that works.

Then at lunch I do calcium, then afternoon calcium, then bed time calcium.  I don't have to take iron!

Maybe you should ask what the difference would be since the multi has both? 
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

Could_It_Be
on 6/1/12 5:25 am
 To quote my grandmother... WELL HELLS BELLS!

I figured this was the case but DANG. 

thanks!

VSG on 6/22/11
Mom78
on 6/1/12 6:29 am
VSG on 02/10/12
I have the bariatric advantage chews for my calcium.  They are like starburst, I have made them my "snack".  Kills any munching I want to do!

Could_It_Be
on 6/1/12 6:47 am
 I did those in the beginning but then the carbs made me change. Yeah, they were like a treat to me!

VSG on 6/22/11
Mom78
on 6/1/12 7:07 am
VSG on 02/10/12
Oh ya, I don't count carbs.  Just looked at them, 3g from sugar alchohols.

I still can't swallow the calcium petite pills!  I can barely get down the 50,000 iu vitamin D caps I have to take.  Not sure why, but they get stuck half way down!

Could_It_Be
on 6/1/12 7:09 am, edited 5/31/12 10:18 pm
I ordered the BA chewable (but not chewy kind). These remind me of the heartworm pills we gave our dogs in the 80s and taste like cocoa and sweet n low. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on them!

VSG on 6/22/11
Mom78
on 6/1/12 7:50 am
VSG on 02/10/12
Oh ya, still have a bottle of those!  Taste like chalk!!!

Most Active