Today, I will not feed the monkey...

Happy966
on 5/7/12 10:34 pm

Several years ago when I was struggling with food (again), an OA friend told me that in AA they say "This program works better if you stop drinking."

I needed surgery to help me stop eating (so much), but what he really meant was that I was going to continue to struggle with the food as long as I wasn't willing to stop engaging in addictive eating behaviors. 

He was the same guy that told me I could call him any time, day or night, if I wanted to eat and needed support.  But I had to call before I actually ate anything - no late-night confessionals after the drive-through.

I am thinking about all this because we will still have the desire to eat in our old ways - maybe forever - but we don't have to act on them!  Furthermore, now that we've added surgery to our toolbox, we're better equipped to fight all the physical reasons we're obese.

So often, I get that desire to eat and feel *instinctively* that I have to act on it.  But I don't!  I can sit with the desire, the craving, whatever, observe it from a distance, and tell myself it will pass.  For me, addictive cravings only pass if I don't act on them - one Quest bar makes me want four, for example.  No Quest bar makes me, well, uncomfortable for a little while.  But not crazed and unhappy with myself.

I am going to be going on a long drive today.  Driving long distances is not pleasant for me.  I have used food to distract me and I want badly to eat in the car.  I am trying not to.  So I am going to drink and drink, and only eat my breakfast on the way to the meeting.  On the way home - I'll go shopping if I feel sleepy, instead of stopping for unplanned food.  It's uncomfortable in the moment, but I know I will feel better tonight.

Hugs to all!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

jaded123
on 5/7/12 10:47 pm - MD

I like the AA saying :)
(I have recently started going to Al-Anon and love the different slogans.)
You have a great strategy in place today.  You are going to do FINE today, because of that.  Your posts help me.  I battle some of the same demons :)
Have a good day, and a safe drive!

HW: 310 /  Lost 15 on pre-op diet  /  SW: 295  /  CW: --- /  GW: 170-175

momsy55
on 5/7/12 10:57 pm - ME
Sounds like you've planned well Happy!  Being mindful of what our pitfalls are or what we're doing makes it easier to not give into that %#@! monkey!  Yesterday, on my way to Wally World, a thought about buying something "legal" and eating it on the way home, popped into my head.  I hadn't been paying attention and that monkey tried to get the best of me.  Luckily, after calling myself a few chioce names, in a loving way of course lol, I had the presence of mind to realize if I carried out this plan, I would be going to a place I can't afford to go to.  I bought a cup of decaf at D 'n D instead, and got what I needed at WW, then went home to a healthy supper.  

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Wildcat-NYC
on 5/7/12 11:00 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
 You've got this!  

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
dguenat123
on 5/8/12 12:19 am - Belton, TX
VSG on 12/21/10 with
Thank you for this is a great post and fits me too. Knowledge is power, you will do great! Have a safe trip.
Live, Love and Laugh!    
slimmer1953
on 5/8/12 12:22 am
OMG!  Thank you so much!  I am three months out and I feel and look absolutely fabulous, but I am starting to eat junk again.  I was sitting here feeling guilty, and then I saw your blog.  I can do this  Thank you for pointing out to me (again) that it is always a struggle.  I'm putting on my shoes for my walk, and I thank you for the pep talk!
MyOwnSunshine
on 5/8/12 12:36 am
Your strength and resolve always inspire me, Happy.

My monkey is usually fairly manageable, but lately he's getting really pushy and I need to shut it down.  I need to follow your lead and stop listening and indulging that damn monkey and get these last pounds gone. 
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
rhearob
on 5/8/12 1:26 am - TN
 Way to go Happy.  

The best tool I have found is "Feel and Deal".  I had a very simialr thing going on the other night.  I was alone, which is usually when my Monkey starts jumping and screeching.  I kept walking to the fridge and the pantry just wanting to graze.  It took me a long time to get myself calmed down to the point that I could really figure out what was going on.

I use the why method when looking at my feelings.  I let my inner toddler keep questioning me "Why".  It usually goes like this:

Statement:  I want to Eat
Q:  Why?
A:  I'm Bored.
Q:  Why?

etc.

What I got to the other night was that I was frustrated.  I had to do some things for other people and my plans got totally disrupted.  I wasn't able to go for my usual evening walk/run.  It got late and the weather turned to crap.  Once I got to what was really bothering me, I could deal with it - without turning to food and a serotonin fix from eating to fix my emotions.  I redirected that by putting on my gear and hitting the elliptical.

I always get to do a lot of self reflection in cars, maybe that can help you out on your ride.  Anyway, I love your strength and compassion in your posts.  You know you have tons of people here on OH  you can call on anytime!

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

tripmom02
on 5/8/12 1:38 am - NJ
My first thought was "Why won't she feed my two year old" LOL Since that is what I call him, the little monkey (since he can go up flat surfaces, I swear his father is really Spider Man). 

Today I stand is solidarity with you, no monkey feeding in NJ today! You got this girlfriend, you have a plan in place and the self awareness to know that this is your DISORDER talking to you. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Shagdoll
on 5/8/12 2:10 am
Happy,
I just want to tell you that I admire your honesty with your struggles. We all have them to a certain point.
You can do this gurl, I have faith in you!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Most Active
Recent Topics