Mom's ok with it

izabella13
on 4/7/12 2:18 pm
VSG on 04/19/12
So my surgery is scheduled for April 19th and today I have finally summoned up my courage to tell my mom about it. I waited so long because I was pretty sure she was going to be against it. To my surprise she seemed fine with it. She asked me which hospital, what type of surgery, what are the side effects, she asked about the diet afterwords. Yeah, I was dreading speaking to her about it and it went pretty well in the end.
I have scheduled time off at work starting the 19th and coming back on the 30th. I will also fill out FMLA paperwork just in case I need more time. I told my manager that I will be going into the hospital for a procedure, he did not ask for any details. I have not told anyone at work about the surgery, but I have been hinting that something is going down, LOL. I mentioned the xrays and the ultrasound when I took time off to have those done. I don't think I will tell anyone at work and actually I have already told one of the guys at work that I will be having the gallbladder removed.

TonjaTLC
on 4/7/12 2:37 pm - Southlake, TX

I think it is awesome that everything is coming together for you.  I realize not everyone will have the emotional/physical and psychological help and support around them.  I think it is awesome that you told your mom.  We all have our stories.  The only thing that struck me about this is why not get all the support you can get.  Tell everyone you know...get help....for those that enabled bad behavior with food, turn it around and have them enable good behavior for you not to mention, you may teach them a thing or two.  I don't know you personally so I hope this doesn't come across bossy, but being i just had my surgery this week, I am so glad I have shared with people as the support has been a whole lot more then I would of ever thought.  Good luck to you.  If you need support add me as a friend and I will make sure you have it.

Surgery Date:  April 4, 2012 Offical Starting Weight: 304      
izabella13
on 4/7/12 2:56 pm
VSG on 04/19/12
I am just not that sure that everyone at work would be supportive and at this point I just don't want to deal with any negativity and having to defend my decision. I think that eventually, after the surgery, I will tell them.
There is one woman at work who is very nosy and always has some stupid comments about other people. She wants to come off as being friendly, but when I first started working there she asked me if I was always overweight I said no, she asked me to bring a picture of myself from when I was skinnier, it wasn't that she didn't believe me, but she was just being nosy. She said she could tell I was skinny at some point cause I have skinny ankles. I told her I am not bringing any pictures and I am who I am. I thought that she was out of line when she asked me for the pic. 
So at this point, when I am already so nervous and stressed out about the surgery I just don't need to get upset by someone ignorant at work.
Thank you for commenting on my post. 
TonjaTLC
on 4/7/12 3:00 pm - Southlake, TX
 Well unfortunately there are idiots out there and I guess I have learned to use sarcasm with them.  I just wish you all the best. 
moonglo82
on 4/7/12 3:01 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
I'm glad your mom is being supportive... I know that must be a huge weight off your shoulders!

I was more open about my surgery, but that's a very personal decision.

One word of caution about just starting to take off the day of surgery... you may have a lot of last-minute meetings with your doctor, etc in the day or two before surgery. I would double check with someone at the dr's office and make sure they won't need you for anything before the day of just in case.

Good luck!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

izabella13
on 4/7/12 3:06 pm
VSG on 04/19/12
I was at my surgeons office yesterday and they said all tests are complete and the hospital will call me a day or two before the surgery date to let me know what time to come in. I am trying to salvage couple of my vacation days for an actual vacation later on in the year, so I am actually hoping to go back to work before the 30th.
Thanks for posting.
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/12 12:26 am
 thats great my moms not supportive at all and im a month away from surgery its kind of stressful but its my life and my decision
Most Active
Recent Topics