I feel like I survived a disaster!

Happy966
on 4/5/12 11:10 pm, edited 4/5/12 11:35 pm

I had some blahs after returning to work from vacation, but yesterday and today I have felt on top of the world again. I was in Sam's Club shopping yesterday and wanted to run up to people who were morbidly obese like I was and tell them "It doesn't have to be like this!!" I bought a shirt and two pairs of shorts/capris from the big table in the middle of the store and they FIT. This is a first for me. Besides being the first thing besides work slacks I've bought new since I started this journey.

I am not at the end of the journey yet, but I am so happy to be where I am. I am so much more comfortable in my body, so much more able to do things I haven't ever been able to do, or haven't since I had my thin spell in my 20s-30s. Example: in Pilates, we do this exercise called a roll-over. In the prep, you lie on your back, bring your legs in the air, cross your ankles, open your knees and curl your butt off the ground using your abs - no thrusting!

I have been doing this exercise for 4 years never *actually* getting my butt off the ground, just contracting those lower abs. Four years. Last Monday, we did this exercise, and I *felt* for the first time that if I just contracted my abs like *this*, my butt was going to come off the ground. And it did! Holy moly!! It's not because I was doing anything differently, but that my butt was finally small enough that my abs could lift it. I couldn't get all the way over *yet*, but I was very close and could feel what I needed to do. It's a combo of getting stronger and smaller. In the figure below, I got to step 3.

This doesn't make any difference in the rest of my life - I mean, how often do we need to throw our asses over our heads?? But I can't describe the thrill of having this control over my body, of not having rolls of fat around my mid-section that prevented me from folding up, or a lower body that was far to heavy for my poor abs to lift off the ground. It made me feel like so much is possible! Like, if I keep working out, keep walking, I could go down and up the Grand Canyon next time. I did Canyon de Chelly - only 600 feet but it was easy peasy, even though I was scared I couldn't do it.

The disease of obesity robs of us of the ability to participate fully in life, and I feel like I've been given a second chance. I want to keep coming and posting to make sure I don't lose it!! Happy Friday, all!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

debk21
on 4/5/12 11:17 pm - Mansfield, TX
Aaawww Happy!  That's wonderful!  I remember trying to do a pilates CD and I saw that ass over head thing and when I tried it I said "There is NO way my ass will ever even come off the floor"...You are rockin' that sleeve girl!!!!  Let's hear it for your butt!!!!!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Happy966
on 4/5/12 11:28 pm

A woman in my class said she feels like trying exercises you can't do yet is like making an international call to your muscles over a bad connection.  It takes a long time for the whole message to get through, but once it does, they understand what she's asking them to do.  I know that's only part of it - my poor abs weren't going to be able to lift my bigger ass off the ground no matter how strong they got.

debk21
on 4/5/12 11:35 pm - Mansfield, TX
I admire your tenacity.  Four years of trying.  That's amazing!  I gave the stupid pilates CD to my daughter as all I could do was roll around like a beached whale when I tried that stuff.  I think maybe I should give it a try again.  Maybe I wouldn't feel so silly now...Kudos to you for sticking with it.

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Ms. Poker Face
on 4/5/12 11:19 pm
Happy - that is so cool!  This journey is definitely a wild ride!

I do yoga... and I can do so many more poses... and I can do many of them correctly now!  Instead of the modified version.  It makes me feel free.

As for putting your ass over your head... I've never had a practical use for it, but I have put my head up my ass before... as well as putting my foot in my mouth... does that count??  LOL  

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Happy966
on 4/5/12 11:26 pm

Snort!!

You made me realize that this skill might be useful for *extracting* my head from my ass, or maybe avoiding the problem sometimes!!

hrford
on 4/5/12 11:31 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
Brings new meaning to ass over tea kettle. Congratulations on the purchase and the new smaller ass!

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

anninva
on 4/6/12 1:36 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
yay!!!  you just made my day!!! so proud and pleased.  also wildly impressed by the pilates -- i've never even tried.  i did do yoga for a few years and was stymied by that big stomach effect, so i can relate to that.  i'm still not moving much at all, which is awful of me, but i'm in awe of all you guys who are actually doing it.

ass over tea kettle indeed.  ;-)  ((((((((hugs)))))))

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Happy966
on 4/6/12 1:44 am

Hi Ann!!  I am so enthusiastic about Pilates - I can sound like I'm in a cult or something.  I started it first, then I got my gf to do it and we are both addicted.  It is challenging but not discouraging, even at my heaviest I was able to see a lot of payoff for my hard work.  My gf has always been a more normal weight person but was very stiff when she started - getting up and down off the floor was a challenge.  Now she is an exemplar of flexibility and strength.  It's the only exercise I've done religiously for so long.  Really, you should try it!!  I'm so proud of you making the century club.  It's going to take me a long time for these last pounds, I can tell, but slow and steady gets there!!

INgirl
on 4/6/12 1:50 am
I would love to try Pilates! I am so happy for you, I've always loved your deep-thinking posts- you really are tackling it well, and sharing along the way. Thank you for being around!
Most Active
Recent Topics