Help! VSG Info. Needed

Brenda A.
on 3/5/12 1:11 am - OR
 OK People...I'm having VSG surgery on March 21st.  Could you please give me a quick rundown on what to expect?  My friend who's had the surgery told me a few things and now I'd like other perspectives.  What's gonna happen to me?  Is it true that your hair could fall out around 3 months post surgery???  Who's heard of Dr. Aceves?  Ive heard nothing but good about him...would you all agree?  Is it REALLY possible to lose up to 100 pounds?  I weigh more than 250 pounds (it flucuates between 250-260).  How do I keep from looking flabby?  I have Fibromyalgia and exercising really hurts...will my "new energy level" help that?

Too many questions...not enough time.

bree~ 
Heather D.
on 3/5/12 1:30 am - Austin, TX
Immediately following the surgery (still in the clinic): I was uncomfortable laying down - I slept sitting up a lot. Gas pains sucked so I walked as much as possible to try to get rid of them.

Eating after surgery: You might not get as much water and/or protein as you think you should. Don't freak out, just do what you can as you heal. It will get better over time.

Your specific questions:
Is it true that your hair could fall out around 3 months post surgery? Yes, it's true. But it's not as scary as you might think. It's more of a thinning and it comes back eventually. Mine thinned out, but came back curlier than ever, so that's kinda cool.

Is it really possible to lose up to 100 lbs? Yes. I lost 140+, but I weighed more than you when I started. It varies by individual. Try not to compare your loss to others who weighed the same as you at the time of surgery. You'll go crazy if you do. Just focus on your own loss.

How do I keep from looking flabby? Exercise helps, but you could still end up with loose skin. It also depends on your age and the elasticity of your skin. I wish I would've done more (or some) exercise. I have lots of extra skin. I don't really care too much though, because my clothes hide it and I don't plan on wearing a bikini anytime soon.

I can't answer about Dr. Aceves or Fibromyalgia, as I have no experience with either.

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/12 1:39 am
 You may be one of the lucky ones that breezes through surgery.  

Or, more typically, you may have about 5 bad days.  Around day 5 things usually improve a lot.  For me the gas pain was bad for about 3 days, the pain below the breast bone where the liver is retracted lasted longer...maybe a week?..., and also the pain at the lower left incision site where the stomach is removed (feels like ripping when you cough).

You need to focus on walking and sipping.  That is what I did.  Don't stress out as much about the protein at first as about the fluids.  But do know that you will feel better once you get your protein up.  Both dehydration and insufficient protein can cause nausea.

You will feel better and better as time goes by.  After week 2 chances are you will be more annoyed about being bored in your food phase than bothered by pain/healing.

As far as Fibro can't say if it will automatically be easier, but if it were me I would push to at least walk 30 minutes a day.  Walking helps the liver metabolize fat.  20 minutes twice a day is supposed to be even better.

Good luck! 
(deactivated member)
on 3/5/12 2:24 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 05/04/12 with
I have fibro. My doc told me if I could get down 40 lbs I may not need my meds!!!! That's the goal!
George B.
on 3/5/12 3:50 am - Miami, FL
You may have some hair loss but if you keep your protein levels high it will be minimal.

I lost 127 pounds with the VSG and have kept the weight off without much effort. It's been 2 1/2 years since me surgery and there's been no regain.

Exercise helps tone you up and there are lost of things you can do for exercise. The issue is finding an exercise you like and doing it regularly. 

The energy level will increase as your weight drops. You're going to find you're more active.

Good luck,
George

amidwife4u
on 3/5/12 3:57 am
Brenda, great post just posted called.... WooHoo....and says it is long and has pics.

Great post about her progress and 1 year out.  Everything she posted rings true.

HW 232 SW 218  WT when leaving hospital 219.5
Brenda A.
on 3/5/12 6:06 am - OR
 Thank you my friend!  This was a great post.  Thank you too for lunch and letting me vent my fears.  I'm so glad you're one of my besties!  

I watched you eat your lunch and was gratified to know that the amount you ate of your lunch was something I could indeed live with.  That's been one of my fears..that I'll still be hungry and won't be able to turn of my craving for more.
  bree~ 
divaishername
on 3/5/12 7:36 am - Oakland, CA
I thought that too but Im at day five and I can truly say that I do not want more. The one thing I will say is the gas is horrible. I have used the restroom and I am ready to do some light exercising. I havent checked my weight and probably wont til week one. Be excited not frightened!
USAF Wife
on 3/5/12 4:06 am
Since recovery is pretty individualized, you could do great, be up and walking soon with minimal pain/discomfort or you could get nauseated, be uncomfortable/painful due to the gas pains. You could be able to get in fluids easily, you might struggle. It all just depends on you and how your responds to surgery. I have zero personal experience with Dr. Aceves, but he's the only MX surgeon I considered for my revision if insurance would not have covered me. Best advice, follow the post-op guideline given to you, and work on any food issues you. They operate on our stomachs not our brains so if you're an emotional eater, stress eater, compulsive eater, surgery isn't going to fix those issues alone. Start NOW with not drinking with your meal and waiting 30 minutes after eating to start drinking, start eating your protein first, learn to measure your portions with measuring cups and know that you will be able to eat whatever you want in the future, but immediately post-op, stick with what is on your approved list.

I lost 137+pounds with the sleeve in less than a year. As for flabby, working out, building muscle helps the flab, but loose/wrinkly skin has far too many factors to even give you a good guestimate. I personally would not trade my flabby/loose/excess skin for back fat rolls and my thighs rubbing together.

Hair loss is pretty typical. Nothing you do will stop it if it happens. I lost half of my hair by volume from 3.5 months post-op, and it lasted a solid 3 months. It all grew back in. I just had a baby 4 months ago, and guess what, I'm losing hair again. There is no pill, snake oil, shampoo, or amount of protein that will keep it from falling out. Supplements, protein intake, and good shampoo/conditioner can help regrowth.
This article explains it very well:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4347455/Hair-Loss-in-Weight-Loss-Surgery-Patients/

Visit here for tons of information and personal experiences:
http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/

I have no information, or personal experience with Fibro so I hope others can chime in with their experience.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

tall_not_venti
on 3/5/12 4:32 am
VSG on 02/23/12
I am a new post op, I went to Mexicali with Dr aceves last month, it was a great experience...you can trust the reviews. I felt very safe all the time.it was a better hospital experience than I have had here in the states.
Most Active
Recent Topics