Straight up question

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/12 6:03 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 05/04/12 with
Has anyone here had complications? If so would you please share.
Shagdoll
on 2/27/12 6:10 am
The only downfall I had was a bad case of nausea the 3 days I was in the hospital after surgery. I could not even tolerate any visitors. After I was discharged, all nausea miraculously went away.
Heather D.
on 2/27/12 6:11 am - Austin, TX
I had a post-op infection (serratia) in one of my incisions. I ended up in the ER and had to have it drained/flushed with saline, then packed twice a day for about 4-6 weeks until it closed naturally on its own. Luckily my husband is awesome and did the packing for me - and he was MUCH gentler than when the doctor did it. I don't think it's a very common complication, and it was more of a discomfort/annoyance than anything. It wasn't extremely painful.

kam0520
on 2/27/12 6:42 am - AL
I had the exact same thing happen to me, out of the one they pulled my stomach out of.  Unfortunately it has been very painful.  I am 4 weeks post op and we've been packing it for 3 weeks now.  My doc did say I was his first ever for that to happen to though.
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Ms. Poker Face
on 2/27/12 6:21 am
I got a C diff infection in the hospital.  I had trouble getting rid of it and it took 5 months of various treatments for me to get better.  It was hell... but I'd still do the sleeve all over again.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Jerilynk75
on 2/27/12 6:31 am - TX
 Just nausea - - ugh.  Nausea that trumped Zofran, Phenergan AND Protonix.  

Though, when I started refusing pain meds...the nausea went away!

Sonya C.
on 2/27/12 6:57 am
I had a stincture. I had to have 2 endoscopies to fix it. Dr. said he has only treated only 4 people with this happen out of the 5 years he has been doing sleeves. With all that, I would do it again in a heart beat.
J.Lo 74
on 2/27/12 7:44 am
I had a leak that took about 4 months to heal. It wasn't easy and I still suffer from post traumatic stress from the whole situation but things are getting easier day by day.  What happened to me is rare but it's definitely good to know all the risks involved and how they potentially affect your life. Best of luck to you.

Jen
Mom4Jazz
on 2/27/12 8:00 am
I don't know if I'd call it a complication...I had back spasms. My back muscles were too weak to pick up the slack when my abdominal muscles were cut during the surgery, so they went on strike and I ended up having to take muscle relaxers. Lasted on and off until about week 5 when my abdominals started to take up their own task.

Would go through it again in a heart beat!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

frisco
on 2/27/12 8:13 am

Straight Up...... Complications are real and can happen with any surgery.

That said...... I read that the range for complications in bariatric surgery can range from as low as .3% to 4-5% among surgeons who do them regularly.

I'd pick a surgeon with a low complication rate.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics