recovery time?

4evercaligrl
on 2/23/12 4:14 pm
 I am having the revision from the band to the sleeve and taking a huge exam 3 weeks later.  It is the only time that fits into my schedule and I cant change the date of my exam.  I guess what im wondering is how long did it take for you guys to recover and feel completely normal?  

specialone
on 2/23/12 7:44 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
VSG on 02/15/12
I'M NEWLY SLEEVED BUT EACH DAY GETS BETTER. I TOOK 4 WEEKS OFF FROM WORK BECAUSE MY JOB INVOLVES LIFTING. AS FOR AN EXAM I'M SURE YOU'LL BE FINE. LESS THAN A WEEK AFTER SURGERY I WAS OUT IN ABOUT IN THE STORE FOR SHORT TRIPS. IT' WASN'T THAT I WAS IN SEVERE PAIN WHEN I VENTURED OUT IT'S YOUR ENERGY LEVEL. I'M ONLY 9 DAYS OUT SO I'M NOT AT NORMAL YET (LOL). THE NOT FEELING NORMAL PART FOR ME IS SEEING HOW MY SLEEVE REACTS ON A DAILY BASIS. EXAPMPLE, I COULD TOLERATE 8OUNCES OF A PROTEIN SHAKE ONE DAY AND THE NEXT DAY MY SLEEVE IS LIKE "NO". I HOPE THIS IS HELPFULL.
    S/W233        
Shagdoll
on 2/23/12 8:57 pm
I felt decent 1 week post-op but still a little tired. At 2 weeks post-op., I felt great!
Mike B.
on 2/23/12 9:56 pm
Don't worry about the exam, you will feel great three weeks out. Good luck with your exam.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

fypcdqt
on 2/23/12 11:28 pm - Cumming, GA
I had a longer recovery than some, but I thought I'd have a really easy recovery.  Every one will recover at their own rate.  I wouldn't stress about the 3 weeks, unless you have to study a lot before this exam.  I was so weak after surgery that it took me over a week before I could stay focused for an entire tv show.  By the end of the second week I was "normal" for about an hour before I was ready for a nap.  I started to go back to work after 3 weeks, for a few hours at a time.  I didn't drive for almost a month, though, because I just felt like my focus wasn't where it needed to be to operate a vehicle.

My best advice is to schedule some one to drive you to your exam and back (if you have to go somewhere for it).  You should be fine to sit and take an exam, but that focus may drain your energy.  It's always better to be safe and laugh about not needing a driver than to not plan and wonder how to get home safely.

Best of luck - on the surgery and on your exam!

Amy

4evercaligrl
on 2/24/12 12:26 am
 Thanks everyone! I probably should have been a little more specific when posting this.  I am taking Step 2 of the medical boards.  It is the practical component so I need to be on my feet seeing patient after patient for 7-8 hours (I forgot how long it is exactly).  Just hope I dont fail...

Brenda H.
on 2/24/12 2:27 am - Dunkirk, MD
VSG on 02/13/12
I was went through a revision from the band to the sleeve and went back to work the next week. I might be the lucky one, but I've had no pain or issues. I felt normal on day 6 to the point on day 7 I had to get out of the house. I wish you luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics