beef

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/12 1:45 am
Lean beef is one of the best things for you, so I am a little stumped as to why you can't eat it.  I ate it from about six weeks out with no issues. 
newme2011-2012
on 2/23/12 1:46 am
Not sure ..I am holding my diet from dr. Kelly in my hand. And it says 7 weeks and beyond:
Meat group:These foods are a good source of protien.
Includes: Beef, fish turkey, chicken, pork and veal.
Meat must be very moist and tender.
I have been eating beef with no problems.
Seems strange he would change his plan so soon.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

wls2011
on 2/23/12 2:47 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 Plans vary, but 6 months seems long to wait...
Mine was to wait to try it until 3-4 months post op...mainly due to beef being harder to digest and it sits in the stomach longer I think.

I tried it right around 3 months, and it is the best protein for me....I eat lots of ground beef, filet mignon, roast beef....It is very high in protein and as long as it is lean, I think it is preferrable to chicken or turkey....but the best thing is it goes down easy and keeps me full the longest.

I still have problems with chicken and turkey, it has to be very thin sliced and with sauce and even then it i**** or miss especially with chicken...but beef is a lot easier on my tummy in any form, although I did switch to it having it cooked medium instead of well done, like how I used to do it pre-op.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

susanpalmer
on 2/23/12 3:56 am - annapolis county, Canada
As soon as i could put it in my magic bullet and blend i did (mushie stage) and have had no problems.

susan palmer    
highest weight 280 current weight 186

fypcdqt
on 2/23/12 11:51 pm - Cumming, GA
My nutritionist said it was because red meat is one of the hardest meats to digest, and while your staple line is still healing, you want to be as gentle as possible. 

I have found, however, that red meat is my go to for protein!  Chicken is such a hit or miss for me.  And if it's a miss, I can't eat for 2 hours at least.  Eating is such an adventure for me. ha!  Pork and beef are 95% of the time winners.  (about 5% of the time it will have the same negative effect as chicken and I will be in pain and unable to eat for 2 hours).  My nurse is perplexed that no food is 100% for me. 

As long as I keep it moist, I am good.  I love meatloaf that I bake in muffin pans b/c one muffin is about what I can eat at any given time.  They also freeze well so I can pop one in my bag for lunch, heat it up at work and not have to worry (most of the time) if I will feel bad in the afternoon.  I also found that steaks/burgers cooked medium (or even medium rare) goes down the easiest and makes my sleeve the happiest.

I'm allergic to fish, so my protein choices are rather limited.  My doctor said as long as it didn't hurt my stomach, I could try to work it into my diet slowly as soon as I was on solid foods.

I would suggest following up with your nut or dr about their guidelines and see if there is another reason they don't suggest it until 6 months out.

All this talk of red meat has me craving a steak now. :)

Amy

Most Active