Whey vs Casein vs Collagen vs... The Protein Thing

kahlana
on 2/18/12 2:36 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
While it's really great that we can get advice here on what kind of protein we should be taking, we don't always get the "Why." Or we may just get a "this kind of protein isn't good for you" sort of answer. I wanted to discover what was so "wrong" with proteins like casein that we couldn't take it. So I went a-researchin' and here's what I found out. (Oh and you vets may have already known this and so please feel free to read no further... this is sort of for those of us that can't get past page 10 of the forum posts and forget how to use the search function... and yes I am pointing this at me) Now bear in mind please that this is my opinion, i am not a nutritionist or a doctor. This is simply my understanding of what I am reading and the conclusions I have drawn from what i have been reading.

The reason bariatric patients are advised to use Whey Protein Isolate over other types of protein is that whey protein is the fastest absorbing protein. It contains the 9 essential amino acids we need daily. It also is less irritating to newly healing tummys because it goes through the system so fast. The bad thing about whey protein is that since it absorbs faster it is also used up by our bodies faster. Whey protein's effects only last 1 hour. So, in order to keep the effects of the whey protein going all day you have to be drinking whey protein drinks all day. Which is fine for those of us newly pre-op types who have to be drinking something all day anyway, but not so great for someone say 6 months out and just working on keeping water levels optimum. You don't want to be carrying a protein shake everywhere with you but if you only use whey protein you wouldn't have a choice. To get the optimum benefit you would have to keep drinking it.

Now about casein protein. Casein protein is found in milk just as whey protein is. But it's a slow-acting form of protein. Casein protein it takes approximately 3 to 4 hours to be absorbed into the blood stream and its effects last 4 hours as well. Now the problem is that, with our smaller tummies, the casein goes right through the sleeve before its benefits can be absorbed. Don't know about you but I have definitely noticed that it doesn't take 4 hours for my protein drink to go from mouth to booty.  We just don't have that 4 hour window to get our protein absorbed.

From what I am understanding from my research so far, if you drink whey protein drinks during the day and then have a casein protein drink an hour or so before bed you are actually doing your body better than doing either one alone. The casein taken before bed has time to absorb because you are not doing anything to get rid of it right away. It's going to sit in the tummy and intestines for several hours giving it a better chance of being absorbed.

Collagen based protein is not a great choice for bariatric patients because it just simply doesn't have the essential amino acids that we need to survive. In other words, its just junk, pretty much like potato chips and soda. There's just not enough nutritional value in it to meet the high demands for protein that our surgery requires to keep us healthy.

Soy protein is an option if you are lactose intolerant but bear in mind that the isoflavinoids found in soy protein can cause issues regarding estrogen levels and that can bring on problems of its own. If you are not lactose intolerant the best bet would be to find a whey isolate protein you like and stick with that.

So which one is the best? From what I read, a combination of whey isolate and casein would just about cover all your bases.

Sources (in case you want to read these articles and figure out if I am way off base or not lol):
LaprascopicMD
LiveStrong
Obesity Action Coalition
CDC
Nutrition Express
Bodybuilding For Idiots

My Blog My Facebook

Jacksonsgrandma
on 2/18/12 3:28 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Thank-you for reporting the differences. I have wondered but not enough to thoroughly look into it as you obviously have. Your "Reader's Digest condensed version" is understandable and to the point. I appreciate being able to make an informed decision on products. 
Good luck to you on your journey!
Mickey

kahlana
on 2/18/12 6:19 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
You're welcome. I just kept wondering what the differences were myself. i figure if I am going to get into fitness competitions and such it might be a good idea to know what I am putting in my body and why.

My Blog My Facebook

moonglo82
on 2/18/12 3:33 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I have wondered what the difference was as well, but I'm not good at reading scientific information... I barely made it through college biology by the skid of my teeth! So I tend to not research those types of topics because I find that I don't understand what I'm reading lol... thanks for putting it in easy terms for me.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

kahlana
on 2/18/12 6:14 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Moonglo I hear you, I'm that way about stuff that bores me to tears but since I want to be healthy as possible and do the best I can for my body right now i have an interest in what I am putting into it. Next month i'll be interested in something else you watch lol

My Blog My Facebook

Texdawg
on 2/18/12 3:44 am
VSG on 01/17/12
Very helpful and informative. Thanks for the research.
kahlana
on 2/18/12 6:11 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Glad to be of help :)

My Blog My Facebook

Pooch2
on 2/18/12 4:41 am
Thanks for this.   The only part I am not sure of is the collagen part, "being junk".  I know pre-op I was taking collagen to support my joint health.  Glucosamine and Chondrotin, which is well known for its benefits for many with arthritis (takes months to show efficacy but made a big difference for me) and allowed me to stop taking NSAIDS for more then a decade pre op.  (not taking them now)  Glucosamine, which is derived from collagen, it comes from animal cartilage, skin, bones, connective tissue etc, just like gelatin is from another part.   So I know for a fact I have benefited from collagen, what I don't know is if they are the same ones I know supported my joint health.   If you or others have some reality on this, please let me know.   
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
kahlana
on 2/18/12 6:10 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Pooch2, you are right I should have clarified that a little better. What I understood from my research is the collagen protein as a source of fuel and amino acids isn't that helpful to use. i didn't mean it has NO uses just not what we need it for like whey or casien or soy would be used by the body. I have fibromyalgia and take Glucosamine/Chondroitin for joint aches and pains and it helps a lot with that but just doing the whey protein isolate didn't seem to make a huge difference to my aches and pains. I actually have noticed since I stopped the glucosamine for a little while (I couldn't find it in liquid form locally) that my legs fall asleep really fast if I curl them under me and I am waking up a bit more stiff than usual. So aaybe our bodies just process the different types of protiens in a different way? I'm still researching on this so hopefully will find that answer soon.

My Blog My Facebook

Sara M.
on 2/18/12 7:51 am - CA
VSG on 03/06/12
What about egg white protein drinks?
Most Active