5 months out looking at Onderland...

Happy966
on 1/28/12 1:10 am

I am very pleased overall with my decision to have WLS.  Today, I feel completely normal physically, except that I can't eat so much and am satisfied with less.  I take a lot of fiber, so no constipation and I have no food intolerances.

I confess.  I compare my loss with other people's all the time.  It is not helpful.

I do not have the smallest sleeve.  I can probably eat more than others at 5 months out, but I try not to.  I usually have 2 to 2-1/2 ounces of dense protein at a meal, and some veggies.  Or 4 ounces of cottage cheese.  This is all at one time, and I'm usually well satisfied.  I stay away from wheat, rice and most corn.  I don't do recreational sugar, and I have so far avoided almost all recreational snack foods.  I weigh and measure, and track everything I eat.  This is bottom line for me.

I am 52, and my whole adult life I have gone up and down in the same weight range.  I have these psychological setpoints that I seem to stall at - whether I was losing weight with or without surgery.  260, 230, 200 and 170.  I am sitting at 204 and looking at Onederland.  I think I've stalled a bit because Onederland is scary (hey, I was 230 in the 10th grade).  I am going to let go of my recently too-big clothes this weekend, close my eyes and take the plunge.

I noticed I am struggling more with food over the past few weeks, in the sense that I am having trouble staying under 800 calories.  I know it is psychological.  I am going to work on it and see what happens.  My weekend Pilates teacher noticed I'd lost weight today.  That was great!  Thanks for being here!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/28/12 1:13 am
Happy - you are doing great!  I think it's natural to compare ourselves to others, but it's not helpful in the least, as you mentioned.  Our journeys are each so individual and our progress depends on so many factors.  I think you are doing maaaahvelous, my dear.

Keep rockin' it!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Happy966
on 1/28/12 1:25 am

Aw shucks, Silly Sweet!  Thank for the support.  I can lose sight of this being a marathon, not a sprint!

momsy55
on 1/28/12 1:18 am - ME
Hi Happy!  I relate so much to your story.  I too am honing in on onederland.  I have a long, long history of sabotaging myself as I am successful, so I need to be diligent in what I do every moment.  I have also struggled a little with food of late.  I can eat sliced almonds in my yogurt, or a few with another protein at a meal.  But, canned mixed nuts are becoming a bugaboo for me.  I can't seem to stop at a point I should.  So, I am being public about this issue here and need to commit to not buying cans of mixed nuts.  So far, that food is the only one that I've been compulsive with, but I'm sure if I don't follow my program, second banana will take its place.  One day at a time, being honest with myself and others, and getting support from here and the WLS program support groups is what I need to do.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Happy966
on 1/28/12 1:43 am

Hey there, Momsy!  I am not sure if I'd characterize it as sabotaging myself, but I definitely won't go past a certain point until I'm ready.  It seems like the first step in the process of getting ready to get smaller is recognizing that I haven't been!

I lose in a stair-step fashion, and when I have the big loss week it's kind of a freak-out.  I feel like I'm melting! 

katier825
on 1/28/12 2:36 am
You are so close, that's great! Get rid of the big clothes. No sense in looking back...look forward! Sometimes we get in a rut and eat the same things frequently. Change it up a bit and it confuses the body. Eat different foods at different times of the day. Change out your exercise a bit. It's so nice when someone notices we're losing. I'm happy for you!
Jackie00
on 1/28/12 2:42 am
Twenty more pounds for me to be in wonderland, hoping by my six month mark to be there.

You are doing a great job, hang in there.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

diane S.
on 1/28/12 2:48 am
Sounds like you are doing really well. And you recognize there is no point to comparing your weight loss rate with others even though its fun to check. we all lose at different rates. You have the right habits so you will be to onderland before you know it.   I was a slow loser - sometimes only 4 lbs a month but I got to goal and below. its not a race. you are gonna get there!   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Paige V.
on 1/28/12 5:03 am - Gainesville, FL
you are doing fantastic! I too, compare myself to others loss! =( Sucks, but I guess in a way it keeps us motivated.

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

tripmom02
on 1/28/12 5:37 am - NJ
 You are doing fantastic, and I know how hard it is to not compare, I do it myself.

180 was my freak out weight, I struggled harder then ever when I got to that point and the mental hurdles where almost as hard as the physical ones so I totally understand where you are coming from with that. When I saw 180 on that scale I literally had to call my husband at work and have him talk me down off the ledge (the ledge being a container of mint Oreo's!). 

It sounds like you and I can eat about the same amount, I don't know what size my sleeve is, but I can easily put down 2 1/2 ounces of dense protein and veggies (probably more but I weigh and measure and don't eat more then I put on my plate). 

I know I say this every time, but you got this. Hugs. Onderland is going to be amazing, and you are going to get there before you know it. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Recent Topics