How long did your post op fatigue last?

trayb17
on 1/17/12 3:33 am
VSG on 01/05/12
Overall I am doing well at 12 days out but I am REALLY fatigued. Just doing simple chores has me wiped out and I am sleepy even during the day. I got a B12 and thiamin shot yesterday at my post op check and doc said that may help with energy level. The doc also said the fatigue could last for 12 weeks, I hooe not! What has been your experience?
countrytat
on 1/17/12 3:38 am - OH
VSG on 01/31/12
I cant answer your question, but I hope not 12 weeks! I already have Hyperinsomnia and fall asleep during the day now.... I dont need it to be worse after surgery! lol
soon2b20
on 1/17/12 3:41 am - NJ

Hate to say this but I still feel fatigued.   I have energy and all during the day but crash at night and sleep like a baby which is something I never did.   Listen to your body and if rest is what it needs now... then let it rest!    Doctor says it is months before we are fully healed.  Important to move but then rest after doing so if that is what your body is saying.

trayb17
on 1/17/12 3:45 am
VSG on 01/05/12
Oh yeah, I sleep all night and way better than before, but during the day I feel like taking several mini naps I am so tired. It took all my energy to get to my doctor's appointment yesterday. I have a big family and I am so used to going and going. I guess I should enjoy the break, LOL!
VeronicaJ5
on 1/17/12 3:44 am - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
I'm still feeling it I'm glad I ended up with six weeks off!
Happy966
on 1/17/12 3:46 am

It was a progression.  I was super fatigued the initial couple of weeks.  I fell asleep at my desk (after 5!) a couple of times.  I'd say I was 80% by 4 weeks, 90% by 6 weeks, and tip top after 10 weeks.  Hope this helps!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

trayb17
on 1/17/12 3:49 am
VSG on 01/05/12
Thanks, that is good to know. I will just roll with it and be grateful that I am free of obligations for a while!
Heather D.
on 1/17/12 3:53 am - Austin, TX
It really did take a long time. I remember telling my husband "I just want to not be tired anymore!" 12 weeks isn't an unreasonable number in my experience. That sounds about right for me.

gamom135
on 1/17/12 3:55 am - Middle GA, GA
Mine lasted about four weeks.  I felt much better when swallowing liquids became more easy.
vocalcoach
on 1/17/12 4:01 am - MD
Interesting posts.  I haven't had a big problem at all with fatique post surgery.  I'm one month out and since I started my aerobics and toning again (about 2 weeks ago) I feel great!  My dietician said that not enough protein zaps your energy in this process so I've been drinking 3-4 shakes/day.

Hope yours doesn't last much longer
Joyfully,
Maria

Most Active
Recent Topics