Packing for the Hospital

kahlana
on 1/16/12 11:47 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I am making a list of the things I will need at the hospital and could use some input. What did you take with you that you definitely used and needed? What did you take that you never even touched?
Im already fairly certain 'ill be taking my own pillows and a couple of extra quilts because no matter how many of those hospital ones they use on me I still freeze nearly to death. Also I was thinking my king sized heating pad might help too. At the moment though thats all I can think of. Any other ideas?

My Blog My Facebook

nana S.
on 1/17/12 12:00 am - MI
First I hope you have a speedy recovery !!!

I took my laptop, phone charger, chapstick, toothbrush, shampoo, deodorant, socks, Pijama and I used all of them.

Remember, Sip, walk, rest and repeat.

Goodluck.

Heather D.
on 1/17/12 12:21 am - Austin, TX
Neck pillow! I slept sitting up for the first couple of days and really could've used one. Other than that I didn't need much. Just comfy clothes, warm socks (maybe some slippers for all that walking you'll be doing), toiletries. You might bring a book or something, but I really wasn't in the mood to read after surgery. I jus****ched TV and walked.

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/12 12:26 am
I could have used a neck pillow!!! Phone, charger. I didn't use anything else at all. I brought all kinds of other stuff and they were all completely useless.
Birdie55
on 1/17/12 12:37 am
My doctor only kept me in for one night, so I didn't take much.  Ask your surgeon what his normal stay is, understanding that it could change depending on how you recover.  

I wore the same clothes to and from the hospital, just took clean underwear.  I had chapstick, a book to read (which I didn't read after surgery) and my phone (which I didn't use).  I slept most of the time, and then went home.  I did take a bathrobe which I used on my walks around the floor.  They provided slippers and the gown.  

I did use a pillow on my abdomen for the car ride home.  That really helped with the seatbelt and the bumps in the road.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

arica dorsey
on 1/17/12 12:42 am - GA
VSG on 01/10/12
I took my lap top, phone and charger and all of my personal hygeine supplies with me you have to do what is best for you but dont get stressed out over what to take to the hospital the biggest thing you need to remember is rest, lots of walking, sipping your liquids dont get hung up on the small stuff I was a lot like you too but when I stepped backed and looked at the big picture I focused in on the important things  but I took things that were of priority too me and things that would comfort me I like reading  you may  want to take some inspirational reading and writing material to start journaling if you are up to it I like music so music that you have loaded on your I-phone, pad or pod that is comforting for you head phones maybe a good DVD too look at on your I-pad or computer I am not a big television person I took a few DVD's i liked   I know this can be very scary and over whelmiing but you dont have to move your entire home take some deep breaths gather some positive energy realize you have a lot to focus on in the upcoming days the hospital will do everything to make you comfortable and remember your family can always go back and get what ever you need make sure you have comfortable shoes and clothing for the trip home comfortable slippers and bed clothing and most all you have to bring whats best for you but dont get stressed its going to be OK I had surgery on 1/10 Im home and doing well walked 4 miles yesterday and you will be ok too take care of yourself and stay warm Its going to be OK 

Arica 
Daisy_Rose
on 1/17/12 1:22 am
 My doctor advised that I limit what I bring.  Remember hospitals have germs and you don't want to take anything home with you or risk it.  I took a travel toothbrush/toothpaste and threw it away as I was leaving.  I took a small travel brush/comb and threw them away.  My husband took my clothes home and brought me fresh clothes when I left.  I hated their blankets and pillows, but did not want to contaminate anything and bring it home.  I was not allowed to use a heating pad for 3 days following surgery.  I had my iPad, but was nervous it would disappear when I wasn't in my room.  I didn't use it at all.  I was in three days and between walking, sleeping and trying to get better to get out, I didn't have time for anything else.

Good luck and talk to you on the other side of your surgery.

kahlana
on 1/17/12 10:39 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Thank you all so much for the responses. I seriously would have forgotten my toothbrush and I remember what it was like the last time I had surgery and how absolutely gruesome I felt afterward so definitely the shampoo and conditioner are going on the list too. And deodorant!!! I remembered chapstick for my lips but Im thinking lotion for my hands and legs too because even overnight in the hospital seems like my skin gets just dry as toast.

Anyway, I'm not trying to seem panic-y about this but making lists seems to release stress for me so I make lists and then actually not worry about anything when the day gets here lol. I only live across the street from the hospital so if I need anything at all I can send a minion... i mean family member... for it:D
Most Active
Recent Topics