laxatives

christina8868
on 1/16/12 8:54 pm
 Can we take a Laxative to get things moving and then use benefiber or something like that to maintain? I see so many different things on this topic but they always say not to use laxative cause it can become addictive or harm nerves.. From one use??? So is ONE use OK or will it harm the sleeve? 

Mom4Jazz
on 1/16/12 9:08 pm
Unless you have to, stay away from stimulant laxatives - your body can become dependent on them. But for one use to get things going, yeah you can use them. Milk of Magnesia is a little gentler than something like Exlax and in my experience it's a wonder.

Things to try once you get things moving:

Fiber is very important. I shoot for 15 grams a day (we need less because our total calories are less). Most days I get part of that from a fiber supplement like benefiber in my shakes or one of the flavored stick packs in my water.

500 mg of magnesium every other day will get things going (for me, that works better than 250 every day). Remember, milk of magnesia has magnesium as an active ingredient.

Miralax - I take half a dose every day but my constipation was epic even pre-op.

Hope that helps. Not a fun subject, but one that comes up often with our high protein diets.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

anninva
on 1/16/12 10:15 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
all of the above sounds good.  my doc told me to stay away from lax and just take fiber supplements daily -- metamucil actually comes in capsules so i'm doing that when i need to.  i had NEVER been constipated in my life and i'm one year out.  NOW i have the problem????  Ugh.  fiber really does help though!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Jamie_45
on 1/16/12 10:23 pm - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
As I was being released from hospital last week this subject came up.  My Surgeon's advice was nothing by mouth stronger than Milk of Magnesia and if necessary use a suppository.  He said it's easier on the stomach if it's pulled from below rather than by use of oral laxatives.  Hope it helps... and you're feeling "normal" soon.

2muchfluff
on 1/16/12 10:57 pm
 Two tablespoons ground golden flax seed daily helps me more than the above mentioned items.  Plus it is very good for you.

christina8868
on 1/16/12 11:21 pm, edited 1/16/12 11:24 pm
THANK YOU

I take 1 table spoon of Benefiber 3x a day in my drinks. That's 13.5 grams of fiber
I eat 1/4 cup of Oat meal for breakfast (REAL oat meal not sugar crap in packet) 2 grams fiber.
I eat 1/4 cup re-fried beans lunch..fat free .. 4 grams fiber
plus 3 protein drinks per day 3 grams fiber ea. = 9 grams fiber
Dinner... soup or Turkey & dark green veggie 1/4 cup of whatever mixed finely ground/pureed...
snack 1 reduced fat Ritz cracker or low fat string cheese ( been staying away from the cheese now)

that's a total of 28.5 grams fiber per day plus whatever I take in at dinner.
This is why I am asking if a laxative is ok to get things going cause the fiber just isn't moving things

Anyone try smooth move tea? if so how did your sleeve react to it?

nana S.
on 1/17/12 12:04 am - MI
I used SENNA tea, and since then im doing good

Heather D.
on 1/17/12 12:29 am - Austin, TX
I recently discovered Chia seeds. They're the only things that have been able to get things moving for me - and they are super healthy. Lots of Omega-3, calcium and about 7g fiber per 2 Tbsp.

beckysuea
on 1/17/12 2:52 am, edited 1/17/12 2:52 am
went to the doctor yesterday and asked about constipation.  I was told

I am supposed to take two stool softeners per day along with fiber, Benefiber, Fiber gummies, etc to maintain.

If I get constipation, I am supposed to take the suppository and also Senna tablets.   .
Most Active
Recent Topics