Random thought - eating when not hungry...

Happy966
on 1/11/12 2:16 am

I did not lose my hunger after surgery, although it is very much diminished now.  I usually eat on a schedule (more or less) since my hunger signal was kind of broken even before surgery (I was always hungry before, unless I was uncomfortably full).  But I have been noticing that now if I eat when I'm not actually hungry, I am *always* dissatisfied and wanting MORE, probably because I wasn't hungry to begin with?  Is this anyone else's experience?

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

vacationlover
on 1/11/12 2:20 am
wls2011
on 1/11/12 2:24 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 I think I know what you mean....for me, this happens with my nightly wind down ritual of tv watching...I just want snacky foods, not really hungry, and not very satisfying. I just want to munch, and keep munching, and those things I can unfortunately eat of lot of.....

I do have real hunger also, and when I do, I eat my measured portion, and I am satisfied.... but I know when I'm just bored and have "head hunger", I keep looking in the cabinets for something else to add to my feeding....

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/12 3:36 am
I have a couple of thoughts on head hunger that might be helpful here. I find that when I eat carbs, I crave carbs.  I become less and less satisfied when I do this.  I know that you are watching your carbs, but I wanted to put it out there for others who might read this.

I also find that eating when I am not hungry is a habit.  The more you do it, the more you want to do it.  Before I eat, I always go through a mental check list.  It goes something like this:
1) Am I really hungry?
2) Has it been at least three hours since my last meal?
3) Is it possible that I am thirsty and translating this as hunger?  Have I tried to drink and make sure?
4) Am I craving a particular food and is that different from real hunger? 
5) Am I just bored or stressed or lonely and trying to self medicate?

The answer to these questions determines if I eat right there and then or if I tell myself that I need to drink, do something else, or just wait another hour.  I never make myself wait for more than an hour if I am feeling hungry, because this is not supposed to feel punitive, just mindful.  I tell myself that mild hunger is not an emergency, no one died from waiting an hour to eat. 
Happy966
on 1/11/12 3:40 am

The situation that prompted this email was when I ate lunch today.  I wasn't really hungry, which is unusual.  I normally ready for lunch.  I ate 2 oz of beef tenderloin and was not my usual, satisfied self.  I am wondering if it's better to just wait until I'm really hungry, or keep on a schedule (I eat at noon, 4-5 p.m. snack and dinner after Pilates). 

I like your suggestions about head hunger.  I find I am usually thirsty.

joeswife
on 1/11/12 3:59 am - CA
Wow, Elina_7 hit the nail on the head for me! Thanks, I will use your check list often.
Many times for me it is, head hunger, boredom, habit. In addition, I ate something at a holiday dinner that had sugar in it, I haven't had any refined sugar since surgery! It triggered something. I wanted more. I fought the craving but struggled. Finally , I took a step back and did a strictly liquid protein day and it sort of re-set my brain. I have had no real issues since. I realized I am addicted to sugar and just have to stay away from it. I am still in the losing phase, but think even at goal weight I will be very cautious of sugar.

Good Luck Happy, I am watching your progress and you are doing fabulous!!

wls2011
on 1/11/12 4:27 am, edited 1/11/12 4:28 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 You know, I usually eat on a schedule too, about every 3-4 hours...but don't really pay attention to it all that much and not rigid about it...some days I am hungry at those times, some days not as much...

I guess, the biggest thing to determine is if you go off schedule and wait until you are actually hungry, will you be ravenous, and then more prone to overeat or eat too quickly and hurt your tiny tummy.

This has happened to me when skipping meals, and then I'm trying to eat faster than I should because I'm low blood sugar and very hungry...this can lead to an uncomfy feeling....so I try to avoid going too long without eating.

P.S. you may just need a bit more than 2 oz now...due to how far out you are...I was able to start eating more, and usually make a meal of 4 oz (about 3 oz of meat, 1 oz of side dish)

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Happy966
on 1/11/12 4:34 am

Yes, I'm usually at a 3-4 oz meal now.  At lunch I still do 2 ounces of dense protein, then maybe a piece of lo-fat string cheese, or sometimes some slaw if I can remember to bring it in from home.  Thanks!!  I think I'll stick to my schedule for now. 

Most Active
Recent Topics