YOU MUST BE MILITANT to be above average

tripmom02
on 12/26/11 5:59 am - NJ
After recovering from my wine induced coma, it's one of my downfalls (as I saw it is for you too, maybe we should work on that one together!) I read this with a clear head and I LOVE everything you said! 

I DO take off for holidays though (but I am only 19 lbs to my doctors goal, and honestly I am not really that sure I want to take any more weight off, still trying to decide on that one), AND I have been at this WLS stuff for over 3 years and I know my personal failings and downfalls and work to avoid them while still letting myself have a treat here and there. I don't think what works for me this far out, would necessairly work for a "newbie". 

Anyway, I am babbling now, just wanted to say that this post was spot on!

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

ruggie
on 12/26/11 6:03 am - Sacramento, CA
Thanks for your feedback. :)  Maybe we should work on it together!!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

VickyBT
on 12/26/11 6:17 am - MI
Nicely put with no uppity attitude.
Great message that I will bookmark and re-read several more times.
Thank you
!
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

lmreadynow
on 12/26/11 9:17 am
 THANK YOU, THANK YOU , THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  l love every minute of this post.  l really appreciate the time and care you took to put this out there.  Reaching out and helping so many people that you'll never even meet takes a very special person.  Really, sincerely, l thank you.

HW291  SW279  l'm 5'7"        
onemoretry
on 1/17/12 6:25 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
I live on this board, day and night. I have no idea how I missed this post, but wanted to say thank you Ruggie for taking the time to post this. I have not had surgery yet, but I know for a fact that carbs are the devil for me. I have tried several times to address the problem, by giving them up for a limited time, thinking I can introduce them back into my life later. That does not work for me, when I have this surgery, they will be cut a way from my life just like 85%  of my stomach. I am in it for the long haul this time.
HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

PaulaToronto
on 1/17/12 9:52 am - Toronto, Canada
Really enjoyed your post.  Is your doctor onside with your getting most of your protein from protein drinks ?

I know my doctor's office would be on my case something big if I told them I was going  to do this.

Having said that, having three shakes would be something I could really go for.  I don't have to make meals for anyone but myself and as I struggle with thyroid and diabetes not having to think much about preparing food would be a good thing.I am very concerned about making goal and really want to embrace Frisco's undereating theory.

What does your doc say?

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

ruggie
on 1/19/12 12:12 pm - Sacramento, CA
I'm glad you enjoyed this post.

I specifically asked my doctor about protein shakes during my last appointment with him - told him I have three shakes a day for a total of 300 calories and 70 g protein using Syntrax Nectar.  He was completely cool with it.  I mentioned I heard that other places (like Kaiser) tell people to stop shakes and get on solid food right away.  He asked me "How much normal food do you have to eat, calorie-wise, in order to get in 100 g a day with only solid food"?  I thought about it, and guessed between 1,000 to 1,500 calories depending on specific meals.  And that's too many calories for me.

Again, I'm not sure why shakes get "the hate" - they're obviously well tolerated and respected by body builders, who have the same goal - provide muscle building blocks with a miniority of calories.  But my surgeon and nut think it's cool, so I'll continue to use it.  Like you, I love the idea that I'm not hassling with preparing food.   I'm concerned about goal too - the closer I am, the slower my weight decreases!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

PaulaToronto
on 1/20/12 4:07 am - Toronto, Canada
After meeting with my bariatric team yesterday (minus the surgeon) I asked a lot of questions and  told them 60 gr of protein is too low and I would like to up it and to start back on 2 shakes a day.  They wanted me only on 1 a day but I won't reach 80 gr of protein without 60 in protein shakes. So that's what I am doing and will see where I am at in the next few weeks.  However, I feel better already - maybe it was the B12 shot - lol but it may be the extra protein as well. I am using the Costco Premier right now  but want to add a fruit flavoured drink so will pick up the Nectar lemonade or fuzzy navel.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/12 11:57 am
My dr wants me to drink 2 shakes AND eat 4 times a day... I think that's kind of weird. I usually end up doing the shake and end up eating twice though. I'm averaging between 500 and 700 calories. and maybe 80-90g of protein.

He doesn't have me look at the shakes as meal replacements which I've been kind of wondering about.
diane S.
on 1/22/12 10:29 am
just found this post. love it. couldn't agree more.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics