Three Months Later - This was a great decision...

Happy966
on 12/6/11 12:26 am

I am very, very pleased with my progress so far, and my surgeon was too.  His only advice was to do more aerobic activity.

I know my sleeve is bigger than some, but I can still eat only 2-2.5 ounces of dense protein, sometimes less, and my hunger (which never went away) is controlled well by a small amount of food.

The good news has been that I had a easy peasy recovery, no problems drinking fluids from the get-go, no food intolerances, no acid reflux, no hair loss yet (knock wood).

I weigh, measure and record my food.  I do not eat recreational sugar because I have been off it for many years prior to surgery.  I avoid other foods that are triggers for me.  I target 650-700 calories per day.  I have found that it is easier to eat more than this, especially if I have carbs (Thanksgiving) and somewhat harder to get back on track.  BUT, several days of clean eating put me back in the right frame of mind and the cravings diminished. 

I read this board every day.  I need a lot of support, and I cannot handle my food addiction without reaching out to like-minded people for help.  Surgery didn't cure my food addiction, but it has made it easier to eat less food and be satisfied.  I guarantee you I could eat 1200 calories of candy (or Quest bars, yum) every day, right now, if I set my mind to it.

I was so afraid I'd never feel normal again.  Today, I feel better than normal.  I drink without thinking (but I was never a gulper), and while I eat slowly and deliberately, I don't "feel" weird on the inside at all.  I struggle sometimes with constipation, but it's not awful and is much better since I added more veggies back into my diet.  I still drink a protein supplement in my coffee in the morning which makes it easier to do more veggies in my meals.

This has worked out so very well for me.  I know some folks have problems and I'm not trying to diminish them, but I do want to say that I didn't, and it has been a great choice for me.  I want to thank all of you guys further out than me for posting about your experience and being so encouraging.  I want to tell you newbies that are even earlier out than me that it has been a wonderful ride so far, and I know I'm not done yet!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

jovi_34
on 12/6/11 12:34 am - TX
VSG on 10/11/11 with
Wonderfully said :)

Congrats to you & I wish you continued weight loss success!!
Check me out at : www.jovanyneal.scentsy.us  for all your Scentsy needs     

HW:256  CW: 243  SW:231   GW: 135

Happy966
on 12/6/11 9:35 am

You're doing great too!!

tripmom02
on 12/6/11 12:41 am - NJ
I was just thinking about you this morning, glad I didn't have to stalk you to find out how you are doing! I am so glad things are going well for you, I am always around if and when you need someone to lean on (or a swift kick in the tush LOL). 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Happy966
on 12/6/11 9:36 am

Girl, I did not recognize your new avatar photo!! You're looking great!

tripmom02
on 12/6/11 12:52 pm - NJ
  Thanks! First photo in a long time that I actually LIKE of myself. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Newrelease
on 12/6/11 12:41 am - TX
Hi Happy!! 

I agree with all you said!! This sleeve is wonderful, I have my days where I question it's power though! LOL!!!! But if you follow what your suppose to do or get back on the saddle if you fall off, it truly does work for you!!! My weight to me is going off slow, but it is going OFF and before surgery I would never be able to say that!!! 

Your are doing very well, keep up the good work!!

Tanya

Happy966
on 12/6/11 9:39 am

Boy, Tanya!  I think you're doing great!  I feel so grateful for this surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/11 12:42 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I am proud on you girlie.  I know you are proud on you too!

*squeeze*

Your B
Happy966
on 12/6/11 9:41 am

Brandilynn, you know you are my hero!  Squeeze back atcha! 

Most Active
Recent Topics